Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued for the purpose of employment regardless of qualification as a skilled worker
Regardless of your qualification as a specialist, you can obtain a residence permit to work if you meet certain requirements for this.
The residence permit regardless of the qualification as a specialist can be issued for employment stays resulting from the provisions of the Employment Ordinance, e.B. for seasonal employment, for household employees, specialty chefs, professional drivers.
Nationals of certain countries, regardless of their personal qualifications, can also obtain a residence permit to carry out any employment if they meet other requirements. They are nationals of the following countries:
Andorra, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, USA (§ 26 Abs. 1 Beschäftigungsverordnung).
By the end of 2023 also: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia (§ 26 Para. 2 Employment Ordinance, so-called Western Balkans Regulation).
It is not a prerequisite that you are a specialist within the meaning of the Residence Act, i.e. that you do not have to have a university degree or qualified vocational training.
The residence permit for the exercise of employment regardless of the qualification as a specialist is a temporary residence permit. The duration of the fixed-term contract depends on the duration of the employment contract or results from the provisions of the Employment Ordinance.
Before issuing the residence permit, the Federal Employment Agency must in principle agree to the employment, unless it follows from the provisions of the Employment Ordinance that the consent of the Federal Agency is not required.
- Valid passport
- Visa if required for entry
Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form
Declaration of Employment Relationship)
- Current biometric photo
- Proof of your health insurance
- Current registration certificate
Declaration of employment (uniform nationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary these will also be offered online.
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and - if this was necessary for entry - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
You have a job or a job offer.
Professional drivers and nationals of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro or Serbia who have reached the age of 45 must provide proof of an employment contract or a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary. The minimum salary must reach 55 percent of the annual contribution assessment limit in the general pension insurance. This results in a minimum salary for 2020 of EUR 45 540 per year. Even if this minimum salary is not reached, a residence permit can be issued on presentation of proof of adequate pension provision or in special cases (e.B., if there is a public interest in employment).
The amount of the contribution assessment limit is announced for each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette (see further information).
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Further requirements may arise from the provisions of the Employment Ordinance.
- For further information, you can contact the competent immigration authority.
Section 19c(1) of the Residence Act in conjunction with the Employment Ordinance
§ 45 Residence Ordinance (fee)
The issue of the residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment for an interview at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eA card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up your eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Last update or date of publication