Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of self-employment

You can obtain a residence permit if you intend to take up self-employment.

To take up self-employment, you can apply for a temporary residence permit.

A residence permit is a residence permit. The residence permit can only be issued for a specific purpose, including taking up self-employment.

  • Valid National Pass
  • proof of health insurance;
  • Lease
  • Curriculum vitae and proof of qualifications about previous activities and training (degree certificates, certificates or certificates)
  • Financing Plan / Business Plan
  • 1 current biometric photo
  • Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


The residence permit can only be issued to you if

  • there is an economic interest or regional need for the activity, and
  • the activity can be expected to have a positive impact on the economy in Germany and
  • the financing of the implementation is secured by equity or by a loan commitment.

If you have already reached the age of 45, an adequate pension plan is also required.

Furthermore, the general conditions for granting a residence permit must be met.

These are in particular:

  • a secure livelihood,
  • a clarified identity,
  • Possession of a valid national passport.

Related Links

  • § 21 Residence Act
  • § 45 Residence Ordinance

You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.

  • You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the conditions for grant are met.
  • If necessary, the participation of other authorities takes place.
  • If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
  • As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication