Apply for a residence permit to look for a job after completing a research activity

If you are in direct contact with your research activity in search of a job or self-employment that meets your qualifications, you will be granted a residence permit for a maximum of 9 months.

As a researcher, you have a legal right to a residence permit to look for a job. The residence permit will be issued to you for a maximum of 9 months in direct connection with your previous research activities. This makes it possible to find a job that matches your qualifications. The aim of the search can also be self-employment. This residence permit allows gainful employment without restriction.

- Valid National Pass
- Proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and payslips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (certificate of completion, certificate or certificate from your university of applied sciences on the successful completion of a course of study)
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents

- Forms: none
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes


You have carried out a research activity in Germany, completed it and had a valid residence permit for the purpose of research (§ 18d or § 18e AufenthG). Other general requirements for granting a residence permit are:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- Possession of a valid national passport.

Related Links

  • Residence Act, § 20 Job search for skilled workers
  • Residence Ordinance (fee)

You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the conditions for grant are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication