Apply for an identity card due to other name changes
If your name changes, you will need to apply for a new identity card unless you have a valid passport document with the new name.
If your name has changed, your ID card is invalid. Therefore, in this case, you must apply for a new one
There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, there is no obligation to apply for a new identity card.
The EU logo on the front of the identity card, which will be introduced from 2 August 2021, will not cause ID cards without this logo to become invalid.
The validity period depends on your age at the time of application:
- under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
- from 24 years: Identity card is valid for 10 years.
A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You can submit the application to your citizens' office at your main residence. Applications to any other citizens' office are possible if an important reason is explained. This incurs a non-competence surcharge, i.e. the costs of the exhibition increase.
- old identity card, passport or children's passport (with the old name) and, if available, valid passport (with the new name)
- Certificate from the registry office on the use of the name
for children under 16 years of age: declaration of consent of the legal guardian
- in the case of only one legal guardian, additional proof of custody
Biometric passport photo: The photo must
- be up-to-date and
- meet the requirements for photos for electronic identity cards.
The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you
- have German nationality,
- have reached the age of 16 and
- are registered in Germany
- do not have a valid passport or temporary passport with the new name.
For applications outside your main residence:
- You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card at the Bürgeramt at your main residence.
§ 9 Identity Card Act (PAuswG)
In the event of a name change, request the new personnel information as follows:
You must apply for your identity card in person at the Bürgeramt. If you do not apply for your identity card at your main residence, you will need an important reason and there will be a surcharge for the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
- At many citizens' offices, you can make an appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
- Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can pick up your identity card.
- Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- At many citizens' offices, you can arrange a pick-up appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
- When applying for the identity card, the authority checks the new name on the basis of the civil certificate of the name.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Last update or date of publication