Apply for a new identity card for theft Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
Your identity card has been stolen? Then you need to report it. In addition, you will need to apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document.
You can report the theft of your identity card to:
- any identity card authority, usually the local citizens' office, or
- any police force
In addition, you must apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport. This is possible at the Bürgeramt at your main residence.
If you do not apply for your new identity card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
Biometric passport photo: The photo must
- be up-to-date and
- meet the requirements for photos for electronic identity cards.
- if available and not yet devalued: old passport or children's passport (valid or already expired)
- if no valid passport or children's passport is available: birth certificate or marriage certificate
- if available: police loss report
in the case of children under the age of 16: if applicable, declaration of consent from the parent with custody who is not present
- in the case of only one legal guardian, additional proof of custody
The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you
- have German nationality,
- have reached the age of 16,
- are registered in Germany
- do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport.
For applications outside your main residence:
- You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card to the identity card authority responsible at your main residence.
- Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.
§ 9 Identity Card Act (PAuswG)
To apply for a new ID card after theft, follow these steps:
- Report the theft to an identity card authority, usually the Bürgeramt, or to the police. You can file the notification informally in writing or in person.
- If you want to apply for a new ID card at the Bürgeramt at the same time, you must do so personally and bring the necessary documents with you.
- Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can pick up your identity card.
- Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- At many citizens' offices, you can arrange a pick-up appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication