Apply for a new identity card in case of loss

Have you lost your identity card? Then you need to report it. In addition, you will need to apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 years old and do not have another valid passport document.

You can report the loss

  • at any identity card authority, usually the local citizens' office, or
  • with every police force.

In addition, you must apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport. This is possible at the Bürgeramt at your main residence.
If you do not apply for your identity card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
In the event that you find your ID card again, you must report this personally to your identity card authority. Only when you have officially reported your identity card as "found" will a corresponding entry with the police be deleted.
If you have not applied for a new identity card, you can continue to use your ID card in Germany, which has been registered as recovered, without restriction until the end of its validity.

  • Biometric passport photo: The photo must
    • be up-to-date and
    • meet the requirements for photos for electronic identity cards.
  • if available and not yet validated: old passport or children's passport (valid or already expired)
  • if no valid passport or children's passport is available: birth certificate or marriage certificate
  • if available: police loss report
  • in the case of children under the age of 16: if applicable, declaration of consent from the parent with custody who is not present
    • in the case of only one legal guardian, additional proof of custody


The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you

  • have German nationality,
  • have reached the age of 16,
  • are registered in Germany and
  • do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport.

For applications outside your main residence:

  • You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card to the identity card authority responsible at your main residence.
  • Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.

Related Links

  • § 9 Identity Card Act (PAuswG)

To apply for a new id card after loss, follow these steps:

  • Report the loss to an identity card authority, usually the Bürgeramt, or to the police. You can submit the loss report informally in writing or in person.
  • If you want to apply for a new ID card at the Bürgeramt at the same time, you must do so personally and bring the necessary documents with you.
  • Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can pick up your identity card. As a rule, it takes at least two weeks.
  • Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
  • At many citizens' offices, you can arrange a pick-up appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication