Take the Dangerous Goods Officer Examination
In order to be able to be appointed and act as a dangerous goods officer, you must have proof of training. The proof of training will be given to you after participation in a training course and a successful examination by the IHK.
As soon as a company is involved in the transport of dangerous goods, a dangerous goods officer must be appointed. The training certificate of the dangerous goods officer must correspond to the mode of transport on which the company transports dangerous goods.
There are training courses and exams for the
- Road traffic
- Rail transport
- Inland waterway transport and
- Maritime transport
You can take the exam as an initial examination, supplementary examination and repeat examination. During the initial examination, you must provide proof of at least 22.5 hours of training for the tested mode of transport. If you already have proof, but would like to extend it to an additional mode of transport, take the so-called supplementary examination. To do this, you must provide proof of 7.5 hours of training for the additional mode of transport. If you have a training credential that is about to expire, you can take an extension exam. To do this, you must provide your proof of training.
For the exam, please note the following points:
- The duration of the test depends on the number of modes of transport tested. It is between 100 (one mode of transport) and 250 minutes (maximum four modes of transport) for the basic test and between 50 and a maximum of 125 minutes for the extension test. The duration of the supplementary examination is between 50 (one mode of transport) and 150 minutes (maximum three modes of transport).
- The exam is conducted in writing. As a tool, you can use the relevant regulatory texts for the respective modes of transport as well as a non-programmable calculator. The use of other electronic aids is not permitted.
Regardless of the training facility and their place of residence, they can take the exam at any Chamber of Industry and Commerce in Germany.
For basic, supplementary and repeat examinations:
- Copy of the course confirmation of the training organizer, the original must be submitted to the IHK on the day of the examination
For supplementary and extension examinations:
- the copy of the current training certificate for dangerous goods officers, the original must be submitted to the IHK on the day of the examination
- Forms: Registration form for the examination for dangerous goods officers of the respective IHK
- Online procedure possible: partially (when registering)
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes (for the exam)
- Completed training with a recognised training organiser for the respective mode of transport of at least 22.5 hours
- Not yet expired training certificate for the respective mode of transport
- Valid proof of training
- Proof of supplementary course for modes of transport to be tested of at least 7.5 hours duration
§ 3 paragraph 1
§ 6 Ordinance on Dangerous Goods Officers (GbV)
§ 3 paragraph 1 Dangerous Goods Commissioner Ordinance (GbV)
§ 6 Dangerous Goods Commissioner Ordinance (GbV)
First, you will complete a training course for the desired mode or modes of transport with a private provider.
- After participating in the training, you register online or in writing for the exam at an IHK.
- The Chamber of Industry and Commerce will confirm your examination registration after examining your documents.
- You take the exam on site at the IHK.
- The exam is passed if at least 50% of the maximum score specified in the respective examination questionnaire has been achieved.
After successful participation in the examination, the training certificate will be issued to you as a dangerous goods officer and you can work as a dangerous goods officer.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation
Last update or date of publication