Midwifery assistance Granting
- If you are pregnant or have just given birth, you can use the services of a midwife
Women insured in the statutory health insurance are entitled to midwifery assistance during pregnancy, during and after childbirth in addition to the right to medical care. Midwifery assistance includes the benefits of pregnancy and delivery by a state-certified and recognized midwife or a maternity nurse. The provision of services is regulated by the midwifery assistance contract
Midwifery assistance includes:
- maternity and maternity care benefits,
- Benefits during the puerperium up to 12 weeks after birth and
- other services, such as advice to the mother in case of breastfeeding difficulties or postnatal gymnastics during instruction in the group.
Midwifery assistance can be used during pregnancy and up to 12 weeks after delivery (exception: advice to the mother in case of breastfeeding difficulties or nutritional problems of the infant).
Midwifery assistance is made available to the insured persons as a benefit in kind, i.e. the midwives settle accounts directly with the health insurance companies. Only services that are regulated in the midwifery remuneration list can be billed.
The insured children are also entitled to midwifery assistance if they cannot be cared for by the insured person, e.B. in the event of adoption, death or absence of the mother due to illness.
Note: If you have private health insurance, you should clarify the assumption of costs with your insurance company before you make use of the service.
- Your health insurance
Existing insurance relationship
Further information can be obtained from your statutory or private health insurance and from the German Midwifery Association.
- Joint circular of the social security institutions (GR v. 6.12.2017-II)
§ 15 Maternity Protection Act (MuSchG) Other benefits
§ 24c Of the Social Code Fifth Book (SGB V) Benefits for pregnancy and maternity
§ 24d Social Code Fifth Book (SGB V) Medical care and midwifery assistance
§ 24f Of the Social Code Fifth Book (SGB V) Childbirth
§ 134a of the Social Code Fifth Book (SGB V) Provision of midwifery assistance
Midwifery remuneration agreement (Annex 1 to the contract according to § 134a SGB V), C. Services during the puerperium
- Contact the midwife of your choice directly.
- If you are a member of a statutory health insurance company, you must present your health insurance card.
- The midwife settles accounts with your health insurance company.
- If you are a member of a private health insurance, you should first clarify the assumption of costs with it.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Gender Equality
Last update or date of publication