Permission to breed, keep and trade in animals Granted for parakeets and parrots

Do you want to keep parrots or parakeets in order to raise offspring or trade with the animals? Then you need an animal protection permit before you start your activity. You can apply for this permission from the competent authority.

If you wish to keep parrots or parakeets in order to raise offspring or trade with the animals, you must apply to the competent authority for animal welfare permits before starting the activity.

You may only start your work after receiving the permit.

  • Application (form)
  • Proof of expertise for the respective persons who have handling the animals
  • Certificate of leadership for submission to an authority
  • Sketch(s) of the holding device(s) and description of the rooms and facilities used for the activity
  • Information from the Business Central Register


  • Application is complete and correctly completed
  • All necessary documents are available


Anyone who carries out an activity without the permission required by Section 11(1) sentence 1 of the Animal Welfare Act acts in an irregular manner (Section 18 (1) No. 20 TierSchG).

In commercial terms, whoever carries out these activities independently, on schedule, ongoing and with the intention of making a profit.

The conditions for commercial breeding are normally met when a holding unit reaches the following level or the following quantities:
Commercial breeding is usually present when juveniles are regularly sold in birds and

  • more than 25 breeding pairs of bird species up to and including nymph parakeet size,
  • more than 10 breeding pairs of bird species larger than nymph parakeets (exception: cockatoo and macaw: 5 breeding pairs)

be held.

Related Links

  • Section 11 Animal Welfare Act (TierSchG)

After you have submitted the necessary documents to the competent authority, the documents will be checked for accuracy and completeness. Subsequently, a local inspection by the official veterinary service takes place at your site and, if necessary, a specialist consultation. You will then receive permission.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection

Last update or date of publication