Claiming child support in a faster, simpler court case
For a minor child of separated parents, appropriate maintenance may be required from the part liable for maintenance.
Maintenance for a minor child of separated parents married or unmarried can be claimed by the maintenance debtor from the family court in a regular (disputed) or simplified maintenance procedure. The simplified procedure must be requested using a form. It can lead to an enforceable title (maintenance order) faster and more cost-effectively than a disputed maintenance procedure.
You can seek advice from employees in the Youth Welfare Office or a lawyer as to whether this form of procedure is suitable in your case.
for the applicant:
- The form "Application for determination of maintenance according to § 249 FamFG (Simplified Procedure)" - available from the Youth Welfare Office or from any district court
- A declaration on the income and financial circumstances of the child and the parents (if known)
- Any evidence and supporting documents about the income situation
for the defendant:
Objection form -
available at the district court
- Appropriate evidence and supporting documents
- Application for determination of maintenance according to § 249 FamFG (Simplified procedure)
- Objection form
The conditions for the simplified procedure for determining maintenance are:
It is maintenance
- for a minor child, or
- for an adult child for the previous period of minority.
- No court has already ruled on the maintenance claim or no judicial maintenance proceedings have yet been initiated before the court.
- There is still no enforceable maintenance title (e.B. a youth welfare office certificate).
- The required maintenance for the child is not higher than 1.2 times the minimum maintenance.
You are entitled to assert the maintenance claim as
- custodial parent with whom the minor child lives, or
- Person or entity that legally represents the child.
Maintenance guidelines of the Higher Regional Court of Braunschweig
Maintenance guidelines of the Higher Regional Court celle
Maintenance guidelines of the Higher Regional Court of Oldenburg
Form F55 and leaflet F55a available on the Lower Saxony State Justice Portal
§§ 1601 ff. Civil Code (BGB)
§ 111 No. 8 Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG) for Family Disputes
§ 112 No. 1 Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG) for Family Disputes
Section 113(1) of the Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG) for Family Disputes
Section 114(1) of the Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG) for Family Disputes
§§ 249 et seq. act on proceedings in family matters and in matters of voluntary jurisdiction (FamFG)
You must submit the application via the application form, which can be obtained from the Youth Welfare Office or the District Court. The form is also available for download.
You submit the application as an authorized person
either in their own name for the child
- if you are married to the other parent and you live separately, or
- a matrimonial matter is pending between you.
- or on behalf of the child as his or her legal representative.
- either in their own name for the child
- You submit the completed and signed application with the necessary evidence to your competent family court at the district court.
- The court shall inform the defendant in writing that the determination of a maintenance payment for the child has been requested.
The person liable for maintenance is given the opportunity to raise objections within one month:
- The law provides only under strict conditions that objections of the defendant are taken into account in the simplified maintenance procedure.
For clarification, the defendant must disclose his or her income and financial circumstances:
- attaches appropriate supporting documents.
- explains to what extent he or she is willing to pay maintenance.
- The court will inform you of any objections and the information provided.
- If the defendant declares his or her willingness to pay maintenance in whole or in part or raises no or only inadmissible objections, the court shall determine the maintenance accordingly by order.
- Note: Otherwise, the simplified procedure has failed and will be transferred to the disputed procedure upon request.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice
Last update or date of publication