Apply for an extension of the residence permit to carry out a qualification measure
You can have your residence permit extended for the purpose of recognising your foreign professional qualification for the purpose of carrying out a qualification period before the expiry of its period of validity, provided that you fulfil certain conditions for this purpose.
The residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit if the qualification measure(s) has not yet compensated for the identified deficits in foreign qualifications, e.B because you have to repeat an examination or the examinations are preceded by long waiting times.
The same conditions apply to the renewal of the residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure as for the granting of it. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the entire duration of the qualification measure(s).
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure can be extended by six months. However, the total length of stay for the purpose of carrying out the qualification measures may not exceed two years.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Passport or passport replacement
- Current biometric photo
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. blocked account with a bank)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Proof of qualification measures, if necessary. Training plan
- Forms: You can obtain authority-specific forms from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online.
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit to carry out a qualification measure for the purpose of recognising your foreign professional qualification in accordance with § 16d paragraph 1 of the Residence Act.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- The qualification measure is still suitable to enable the recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
- Your livelihood is secured.
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 16d paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, please arrange an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up an eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Unit 64 (Aliens and Asylum Law)
Last update or date of publication