Extension of the residence permit for the continuation of studies started in another EU country
You can have your residence permit extended to continue studying in another EU country before the end of its period of validity if you meet certain requirements for this purpose.
The residence permit to continue studying in another EU country is a temporary residence permit. The residence permit is extended for the duration of the mandatory study period or the exchange program that is carried out in Germany.
The same conditions apply to the extension of your residence permit as to the granting of your residence permit. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your studies in Germany.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Passport or passport replacement
- Current biometric photo
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. blocked account with a German bank, scholarship certificate or declaration of commitment)
- Proof of studies in Germany
- Proof of your health insurance
- Forms: You can obtain authority-specific forms from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online.
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit to continue studying in another EU country in accordance with § 16b paragraph 7 of the Residence Act.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Your livelihood is secured.
- You can prove a place at university.
§ 16b paragraph 7 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, please arrange an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up an eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Unit 64 (Aliens and Asylum Law)
Last update or date of publication