Social assistance benefits as health advice for families with infants
If you receive social assistance or basic security and have just had a baby, the social welfare office will bear the costs of counselling sessions.
If you do not have health insurance and receive uninterrupted assistance for subsistence for a short period of time (probably less than a month), the social welfare office will immediately ensure the necessary medical care by issuing a treatment certificate.
- Preventive health assistance for the prevention and early detection of diseases
- Help with illness
- Help with family planning
- Help with pregnancy and maternity
- Help with sterilization
- Application for health assistance
- Identity card or passport (or other documents that can identify the person beyond doubt)
The competent social assistance institution shall provide information on the documents required in individual cases.
Help for health is provided to persons,
- who do not have statutory or sufficient private health insurance,
- a provision of the services via the health insurance (§ 264 Abs. 4 SGB V) is not possible
- and for whom the raising of the funds for the necessary assistance from income and assets is not reasonable.
§§ 47 ff. Twelfth Book of the Social Code (SGB XII)
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Gender Equality
Last update or date of publication