Tools for legally insured persons

If you need aids due to an accident at work or an occupational disease, the accident insurance covers the costs. Only doctors authorised by the accident insurance institutions, the so-called transit doctors, can prescribe aids. Exception: visual and hearing aids. The respective specialists are responsible here. Tools include: Prostheses orthopaedic aids including adaptation, such as orthoses, rails, bandages and the like. The costs of maintenance or replacement are also borne, as well as training in the use of the aids. In principle, additional payments are not to be made in the statutory accident insurance. However, fixed amounts apply to some aids. If something more expensive is prescribed or you prefer a different model, you must be advised by your doctor to cover the additional costs. If the objective of the medical treatment cannot be achieved with a "fixed amount" (medical justification required), the competent accident insurance institution assumes the actual costs. Accident insurance institutions are: Professional trade associations, broken down by sector Public accident insurance institutions (municipal accident insurance associations, national accident insurance funds, fire brigade accident insurance funds) Agricultural trade associations

The competent accident insurance institution must have recognised the damage to health as a result of an accident at work or an occupational disease. The aid must have been prescribed by a pass-through doctor.
An accident at work which results in an incapacity for work of more than three calendar days must be reported by the company to the competent trade association or accident fund. Those affected must consult a transit doctor. These are particularly qualified for the treatment of injured persons.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Gender Equality

Last update or date of publication