Sickness benefit for insured persons Granted in the event of illness of the child Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Gesetzlich versicherte Eltern haben für die Versorgung Ihres erkrankten und versicherten Kindes unter Umständen einen zeitlich begrenzten Anspruch auf Krankengeld und Freistellung. Das ist dann der Fall, wenn sie dadurch der Arbeit fernbleiben, da eine andere im Haushalt lebende Person das Kind nicht betreuen kann und das Kind das 12. Lebensjahr noch nicht vollendet hat oder behindert ist.

  • medical certificate


In order to be entitled to sick pay and leave in the event of illness of your child, all of the following points must be met:

  • the doctor certifies the need for supervision, care or care of the sick child,
  • another person living in the household cannot do this, and
  • the child has not yet reached the age of twelve.
  • a medical certificate must confirm the necessity of caring for the child, for legally insured persons there is the model 21 from the doctor: "Medical certificate for the receipt of sick pay in the event of illness of a child
  • no other person living in the household can take over the care (also working or sick)
  • the child has not yet reached the age of 12 or is disabled
  • the child is insured with a statutory health insurance company
  • for the payment by the health insurance company, an application must be completed.
  • You are employed and are entitled to sickness benefit yourself.
  • All insured persons are entitled to child sickness benefit in the statutory health insurance. If both spouses are privately insured, there is no entitlement to child sickness benefit according to § 45 SGB V.
  • If one spouse is privately insured and the other spouse is legally insured, it is crucial that the child has statutory health insurance. In the event that the children are assigned to the spouse who is privately insured, the children do not fall under the scope of application, since its provisions are only binding for legally insured persons. This applies regardless of whether the other spouse is still legally insured because there is no family insurance for their children.
  • If both parents are legally insured, but in different health insurance companies, the health insurance company pays the caregiver the sick pay, regardless of where the child is insured.



Furthermore, a parent is entitled to sick pay for the care and care of a serious and incurable illness of his or her child, which is not subject to the above-mentioned time limit.

The entitlement exists if your child is disabled and dependent on help and suffers from an illness according to a medical certificate,

  • which is progressive and has already reached a very advanced stage,
  • in which a cure is excluded and palliative medical treatment is necessary or desired by a parent, and
  • which can only be expected to have a limited life expectancy of weeks or a few months.

Related Links

  • § 45 Social Code Fifth Book (SGB V) Sickness benefit in the event of illness of the child
  • After the medical certificate has been issued, submit a written application for sick pay to your health insurance company. The easiest way is to go to your health insurance company with the medical certificate and fill out the application there as part of a consultation.
  • Submit a written application for leave of absence with the medical certificate to the health insurance company and your employer.

It is important that the health insurance company recognizes your entitlement to benefits before you want to assert your claim for exemption. If the conditions for a right to leave of absence are not met, your employer has the right to offset the already granted exemption from work performance to a later entitlement to leave for the supervision, care or care of your sick child.

  • Therefore, first go to your health insurance company to clarify your entitlement to benefits before submitting an exemption to your employer.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication