Marriage certificate for foreign persons Exemption Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Nationals of States which do not issue a certificate of marital capacity always need the exemption from the provision of the marriage certificate in order to marry.

From the requirement of the marriage certificate pursuant to Section 1309 (1) sentence 1 of the Civil Code (BGB), the President of the Higher Regional Court, in whose district the competent authority to which the marriage has been declared, has its registered office, may have a grant exemption.

The exemption is to be granted only to stateless persons habitually resident abroad and to nationals of such states whose authorities do not issue marriage certificates within the meaning of Section 1309 (1) of the German Civil Code( In special cases, it may also be granted to nationals of other states (Section 1309 paragraph 2 sentence seum 1 to 3 of the German Civil Code).

The application for exemption from the marriage certificate must be submitted in accordance with clause 12.6.5 General Administrative Provision to the Civil Status Act (PStG-VwV) from the competent authority together with the minutes on the registration of the marriage and all documents, documents and notes are submitted directly to the decision.

Related Links

  • § 1309 Absatz 1 und 2 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB)
  • Ziffer 12.6.5 Allgemeine Verwaltungsvorschrift zum Personenstandsgesetz (PStG-VwV)

Documents may be required. Please contact the appropriate body.

Related Links

  • § 1309 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication