Marriage Certificate Exhibition for Foreigners

If they wish to marry abroad, there may be a statutory standardisation in the intended state of marriage, which requires the presentation of such a certificate. In Germany, it is also possible to issue a certificate of matrimonial capacity for marriage abroad for stateless persons, persons entitled to asylum, recognised refugees and persons whose nationality is not ascertainable. The exhibition is carried out by the registry office in whose area of responsibility the applicant is domiciled or habitually resident. The certificate of matrimonial capacity is valid for a period of six months.

The conditions, type and format of the evidence to be provided and the examination of the marriage conditions are governed by German law, as in the case of a German citizen. Public documents must prove: The civil status. Residence, habitual residence. Nationality. As well as, if applicable, the last marriage and/or civil partnerships and their dissolutions.

If the person wishing to marry abroad has one of the following staff statutes: stateless Eligible for asylum recognised refugee or persons whose nationality cannot be ascertained, habitual residence in Germany.
Section 13 PStG Section 39 PStG Section 1309 paragraph 1 sentence 1 and 2 Of the German Civil Code

The issuance of a certificate of matrimonial capacity is requested by the competent registry office. If the examination shows that the intended marriage does not preclude a marriage obstacle under German law and the necessary information on the person of both spouses is provided, the registry office shall issue the certificate of matrimonial capacity applied for.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Home Affairs and Sport

Last update or date of publication