Retirement of compulsory schooling Application Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
On request, compulsory education may be suspended:
- to attend a language course with insufficient knowledge of German,
- for bringing up children after the expiry of the statutory maternity leave periods for mothers who are required to attend school,
- to attend a special extracurricular course (e.g. early attendance at a higher education institution with special one-sided talent; not for an internship).
According to the law, the obligation to attend a vocational school rests:
- for civil servants in the preparatory service and for new entrants to the service,
- for schoolchildren attending schools for medical professions other than medical professions, provided that these schools are not covered by the Lower Saxony School Act,
- for school-year-end persons who perform a voluntary social or environmental year in accordance with the relevant provisions,
- for school-aged persons who belong to the Bundeswehr as a soldier or who perform civilian service.
No documents are required.
§§ 63 ff. Niedersächsisches Schulgesetz (NSchG)
§ 70 Niedersächsisches Schulgesetz (NSchG)
§§ 58, 59 und 63 bis 68 Niedersächsisches Schulgesetze (NSchG)
The best way to apply is through the school visited or to visit, which shall deliver an opinion. The decision is made by the Lower Saxony State School Authority. The application for a compulsory period for child-rearing after the end of the statutory maternity leave periods for mothers who are required to attend school must be submitted to the school management irrespective of the duration.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture
Last update or date of publication