Foreign professional qualification Recognition as an educator Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to work as an educator in Germany, you need the right to hold the professional title "State-recognized educator/state-recognized educator". You can also apply for eligibility in Germany with a degree acquired abroad.

As a rule, you need the following documents: tabular list of your completed training courses and gainful employment Indication of your current place of residence Proof Proof of training acquired abroad Evidence of relevant professional experience or other qualifications, where they are necessary to establish equivalence Explanation of whether and with which body you have already submitted an application for a declaration of equivalence where applicable, a decision establishing equivalence All documents must be presented in the original or as a certified copy and in German. If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation from a publicly appointed translator. Additional documentation may be required. Please contact the appropriate body.


Damit die Anerkennung der im Ausland erlangten Berufsqualifikation erfolgen kann, müssen folgende Voraussetzungen vorliegen:

  • die erlangte Berufsqualifikation berechtigt in dem Land, in dem sie erlangt wurde, zur Ausübung vergleichbarer beruflicher Tätigkeiten wie der Beruf einer Erzieherin bzw. eines Erziehers und

  • es bestehen keine wesentlichen Unterschiede zwischen der im Herkunftsland erlangten Berufsqualifikation und der entsprechenden niedersächsischen Berufsausbildung.


Anerkennungsverfahren für die Referenzqualifikation als "Staatlich anerkannte/r Kindheitspädagogin/-pädagoge" können bei den dafür zuständigen Hochschulen beantragt werden:

For recognition, the competent body checks, on the basis of your certificates, whether or to what extent your foreign qualification corresponds to a German qualification for the profession of educator. This review is based on established formal criteria, such as the content and duration of the training. Their relevant professional experience will be taken into account, as will other relevant qualifications. For academic qualifications, you can apply for an assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). Further information can be found on the portal "Recognition in Germany". This website provides quick and easy answers to questions about recognition, for example: Do I have to have my professional qualifications recognised? Is it worth the recognition for me? Can I make the request? Do I have a formal claim to it? Where do I have to contact? What is the procedure? What documents are needed? What form must the documents take? How long does the procedure take? How much does the procedure cost? Which laws are relevant to my case?

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Science and Economy of the State of Saxony-Anhalt and Recognition Finder Germany

Last update or date of publication