Passport issue new due to name change in case of marriage or establishment of a civil partnership Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

A new passport is required after a name change in the event of a marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership.

The issuance of a new passport is only necessary if the passport is still used.

Related Links

  • Wichtige Hinweise bezüglich der Corona-Krise
  • current biometric-compatible photo, in passport format (45 x 35 mm) in portrait format, frontal shot without edge, without headgear and without covering the eyes
  • the current passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate . Family books are also accepted.
  • Certificate of civil partnership


The passport cannot be taken immediately after the application has been submitted, as it is manufactured at the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin. If the passport is required earlier, an express passport can be requested.

If a trip abroad is intended immediately after the marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership, the issue of a new passport may be requested before the marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership; in any case, the delivery shall take place only after the marriage or the establishment of the civil partnership and, in the event of the documents supporting the name.

Related Links

  • Paßgesetz (PaßG)
  • Verordnung zur Durchführung des Passgesetzes (PassV)

The applicant must present the application for a passport (e-passport) in person. The application is completed on site with the processor. The applicant only has to sign.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Home Affairs and Sport

Last update or date of publication