Apply for a new identity card at the end of its validity
When your ID card expires, you will need to apply for a new one if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document.
In Germany, persons aged 16 and over are obliged to have a valid identity card. From the age of 16, you must therefore apply for a new identity card in good time before the validity of your old one expires. This applies if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport, temporary passport.
The application is possible at the Bürgeramt at your main residence. If you submit the application for good cause to another citizens' office, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee.
The validity period depends on your age:
- under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
- from 24 years: Identity card is valid for 10 years.
It may happen that the issuance of the new identity card is not possible within the remaining period of validity. In this case, the application for a temporary identity card may also be required for the transitional period. A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
Biometric passport photo: The photo must
- be up-to-date and
- meet the requirements for biometric photos.
- old identity card, valid passport or old (expired) passport
- if applicable, birth certificate or family record book
in the case of children under the age of 16: both parents with custody or, if applicable, a declaration of consent from the parent not present with custody
- in the case of only sole custody, a negative certificate from the Youth Welfare Office
Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: No
The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you
- have German nationality,
- have reached the age of 16,
- are registered in Germany and
- do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport.
For applications outside your main residence:
- You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card to the identity card authority responsible at your main residence.
- Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.
§ 9 Identity Card Act (PAuswG)
You must apply for your identity card in person at the Bürgeramt. If you do not apply for your identity card at your main residence, you will need an important reason and there will be a surcharge for the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
- At many citizens' offices, you can make an appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
- Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can pick up your identity card.
- Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- At many citizens' offices, you can arrange a pick-up appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Last update or date of publication