Have your identity card updated

If the data in your identity card is no longer up-to-date, you must have this changed as soon as possible.

Your data in the identity card must always be up-to-date. You can apply for a new one at your identity card office at your main residence. This is usually the Bürgeramt.

You can also submit the application to any other identity card authority if you can provide an important reason. Please clarify the recognition of your reason in advance with the authority of your choice. There is a non-jurisdiction surcharge. That means you have to pay more for your new ID card.

In the event of a change of address, a new identity card is not required, but you must still present it to the Bürgeramt at your main residence. The authority notes the new address on a sticker on the back of the card. In addition, she changes the address in the chip of the ID card.

  • Identity card, passport or children's passport or, if applicable, birth or marriage certificate
  • Biometric passport photo


The IDENTIFICATION requirement applies to you if you

  • have German nationality,
  • have reached the age of 16 and
  • are registered in Germany.

For applications outside your main residence:

  • You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card to the identity card authority at your main residence.

Related Links

  • § 27 paragraph 1 number 1 Of the German Identity Card Act (PAuswG)

You must speak in person at the identity card office.

In case of change of address: Contact

  • the identity card authority at the place of residence
    • when moving within the municipality and
    • when moving abroad,
  • the identity card authority at a new place of residence
    • when moving to another municipality.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication