Applying for an identity card due to name change in case of marriage Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
You got married and therefore changed your name? Then you will need to apply for a new identity card if you do not have a valid passport document with the new name.
If your children's family name has changed, their documents with the old name are also invalid.
After a name change, your identity card is invalid. So if your family name has changed, for example, after a marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new ID. The same applies to your children if their names also change with the marriage.
There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new identity card.
The validity period depends on your age at the time of application:
- under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
- from 24 years: Identity card is valid for 10 years.
- A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You can submit the application to your citizens' office at your main residence. If you do not apply for your new identity card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
If you need your new identity card immediately after marriage with a change of name or after establishing a civil partnership with a name change, for example for a trip abroad, you can apply for your ID with the new name at the earliest 8 weeks before the planned date of marriage or establishment of a civil partnership. As an exception, the Bürgeramt will then have the date of the planned marriage or the establishment of the civil partnership entered as the date of issue. The new identity card may only be handed over after the marriage or after receipt of the name declaration at the responsible registry office. Before handing over the identity card, the name must be checked on the basis of the marriage certificate or the certified marriage register printout or the certificate of the name.
When applying, the Bürgeramt draws your attention to the fact that in all cases in which the marriage date specified at the time of application is subsequently postponed to a later date and consequently the date of issue of the identity card with the new surname is before the new marriage date, the identity card is invalid. It may not be handed over. You may have to re-apply for your identity card for a fee.
Biometric passport photo: The photo must
- be up-to-date and
- meet the requirements for photos for electronic identity cards.
in case of early application:
- valid identity card, passport, temporary passport or temporary identity card
for applications after marriage with name change:
- if available: a valid passport or temporary passport with the new name
- if there is no valid passport document with the new name: marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate or certified marriage or civil partnership register extract or certificate of name
in the case of children under the age of 16: if applicable, declaration of consent from the parent with custody who is not present
- in the case of only one legal guardian, additional proof of custody
The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you
- have German nationality,
- have reached the age of 16,
- are registered in Germany,
- do not have a valid passport or temporary passport with the new name.
For applications outside your main residence:
- You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card to the identity card authority responsible at your main residence.
- Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.
§ 9 Identity Card Act (PAuswG)
In the case of marriage or establishment of a civil partnership with a change of name, proceed as follows to apply for the new identity card:
You must apply for your identity card in person at the Bürgeramt. If you do not apply for your identity card at your main residence, you will need an important reason and there will be a surcharge for the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
- At many citizens' offices, you can make an appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
- Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can pick up your identity card.
- Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- At many citizens' offices, you can arrange a pick-up appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.
In the case of an early application, you will only receive the new identity card after the marriage or after receipt of the name declaration at the responsible registry office. Before handing over the identity card, the authority checks the use of the name on the basis of
- the marriage certificate,
- the certified marriage register expression, or
- the certificate of use of the name.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication