International carriage of goods by road - Apply for a driver attestation

If you employ drivers from non-EU countries, you must apply for a driver attestation for them.

Anyone who uses drivers who are not members of a Member State of the European Union (EU) or a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland as a commercial road haulage company with Community licences requires a driver attestation for the persons concerned. This is requested by the company for the driving personnel.

The regulation serves as proof that there is no illegal or abusive employment of workers from non-EU countries.

The driver attestation entitles the driver to drive the vehicle on behalf of the road haulage undertaking within the EU. It is issued for a period of up to 5 years. However, it can also be limited to a shorter period if the residence permit or passport expires earlier. If the employment relationship is terminated, the driver attestation must be returned to the licensing authority.

Drivers must carry the original driver attestation with them on each journey. A certified copy of the driver attestation must be kept at the company's premises.

  • Application with information on
    • Name, address and legal form of the company
    • the telephone and fax numbers relevant to the registered office of the company as well as the electronic postal address
    • the competent issuing authority, licence number, date of issue and period of validity and number of certified copies of the Community licence issued in accordance with Article 4 of Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009 on common rules for access to the international road haulage market;
    • Surname, first name, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, type and number of the identity card, time and place of issue of the identity card, number of the driving licence, time and place of issue of the driving licence, number of the social security number of the driver attestation for whom the driver attestation is to be issued.
  • The following must be submitted with the application:
    • the Community licence issued to the undertaking,
    • the work permit-EU of the driver, if one has been granted,
    • the passport, passport replacement or replacement of identity card, the residence permit of the driver and
    • the proof according to § 5 paragraph 1 of the Professional Driver Qualification Ordinance, insofar as the application is also directed to the registration according to § 5 paragraph 4 of the Professional Driver Qualification Ordinance or the obligation to complete an initial qualification or further training according to the Professional Driver Qualification Act has existed.

Related Links

  • Article 4 of Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009 on common rules for access to the international road haulage market

Regulation on the international carriage of goods by road and cabotage

Related Links

  • § 20 GüKGrKabotageV
  • Article 5, paragraph 1 of EU Regulation 1072/2009

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Last update or date of publication