Apply for permission to work as an insurance intermediary

You are an insurance intermediary if you are acting as: Insurance agents or insurance brokers. For this you need a permit from your local Chamber of Commerce. In addition to obtaining your permit, you must also register in the insurance intermediary register. By applying for permission, you can apply for registration in the register of intermediaries at the same time. As an insurance agent: arrange professional insurance contracts for one or more insurers and as its administrator, you are on the side of the insurance company on the basis of a representative contract. As an insurance broker: arrange insurance contracts on behalf of the customers and are on the customer's side as its custodians of interests. Special features for foreign nationals: If you are a foreign national and have a branch in another Member State of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany, nor can you register in the German insurance intermediary register. Foreign nationals from non-EU countries are subject to the same rules as German nationals. These also apply to EU nationals who register a corresponding trade only in Germany.

Copy of your valid identity card or passport for proof of corporate legal form: at headquarters in Germany: extract from the commercial register or the partnership register, in the case of companies registered in a register, otherwise a copy of the social contract in the case of registered office abroad: documents from the country of residence proving the legal form for proof of personal reliability: at residence in Germany: Certificate of leadership (document type O) and Extract from the Business Central Register when residing abroad: corresponding documents from your home country that prove your personal reliability for proof of orderly financial circumstances: at residence in Germany: Extract from the debtor stake Certificate of insolvency court Certificate of the Tax Office in tax matters for residence abroad: corresponding documents from your home country that prove your orderly financial situation Ihk's certificate of expertise on the necessary knowledge and legal regulations of the insurance industry Proof of an insurance undertaking's existence of professional inertial insurance for the insurance industry For legal entities, you only need to fill in the application form for the legal entity itself. You must submit all personal documents for all persons entitled to the management. For the legal entity, you also need an excerpt from the business central register. Partnerships are not eligible for authorisation as such. Therefore, every managing partner needs permission. For each of these persons, you must submit a completed application form and all personal documents. Attention: Your Chamber of Commerce can request additional documents to verify personal reliability. Some of the documents submitted may not exceed a period of forfeiture at the time of the decision (not only at the time of filing). Please check with your Chamber of Commerce. 1. Completed and signed application form 2. Information from the Federal Central Register for submission to an authority (document type 0) You can apply for the certificate of leadership (document type 0) from your local municipality with the reference number "RE/VVR". 3. Information from the central business register for submission to an authority (document type 9) You can also apply for this extract from your local municipality, stating the reference number "RE/VVR".    4. Certificate in tax matters of the tax office Please contact all tax offices in whose district you have had a residence or commercial establishment within the last five years. Exception: Holder of a permit in accordance with Section 34c of the Commercial Code If there is already a permit under Section 34c of the Commercial Code which is not older than three months, the evidence pursuant to No. 2-4 (certificate of leadership, extract from the central business register, certificate of the tax office) does not need to be submitted if a copy of the certificate of authorisation is attached to the application and no revocation, withdrawal or criminal proceedings are pending. Exception for approved credit institutions In the case of credit institutions authorised under the Banking Act (KWG), neither the personal reliability of the Board of Management or the Management Board nor the orderly financial situation of the credit institution are checked, as this is already done through the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin). 5. Proof of professional insinuator insurance or equivalent guarantee You will receive proof of presentation to the Chamber of Commerce from the insurance company with which you have taken out professional indemnity insurance or equivalent guarantee. It may not be older than three months at the time of application. 6. Proof of the required expertise - successfully passed expert examination - an equivalent professional qualification in accordance with The VerVermV - Exemption from the expert examination in accordance with VersVermV - completed as an insurance professional (BWV) in accordance with or - Delegation of proof of expertise to supervisory supervisors entitled to represent in accordance with Section 34 d of the Commercial Code 7. Extract of registers for register entries An up-to-date extract from the Register of Trade, Cooperatives or Associations must be presented. 8. Extract from the debtor register of the Enforcement Court (Section 882b Of the ZPO) This excerpt is available online at .    9. Information from the insolvency court as to whether proceedings have been opened 10. Identity card or national passport Foreign nationals also need a residence permit, which entitles them to pursue an independent activity, provided that they are not EU nationals.

Forms: you will receive from your responsible Chamber of Commerce and Industry Online procedure possible: partly, depending on the Chamber of Commerce Written form required: no Personal appearance necessary: no

They have the reliability necessary for the business. You are not considered reliable if you have been convicted of one of the following violations in the last 5 years: crime theft embezzlement blackmail fraud unfaithfulness money laundering forgery of documents fencing usury Insolvency offences They live in orderly financial circumstances. You do not meet this requirement if: insolvency proceedings concerning your assets, or was rejected due to lack of mass, or they are entered in the debtor's register. You have the necessary expertise. Proof of the required expertise is possible by: an expert examination before the Chamber of Commerce or on equal training qualifications and possibly corresponding professional experience. You have taken out professional insanity insurance. Currently, a minimum cover total of: EUR 1,276,000 for each insured event and EUR 1,919,000 for all claims in a year in total.
You can apply for permission to work as an insurance intermediary in writing: Download the application form on the website of your local Chamber of Commerce. Complete this completely. Then send it to your competent Chamber of Commerce with the necessary documents. As soon as you have provided all the information and the documents are complete, the Chamber of Commerce decides on your application. After a positive examination, you will receive permission and, if necessary, will be entered in the insurance intermediary register. The permit granted is valid for an indefinite period. It does not end until you do without it. Under certain conditions, the Chamber of Commerce can revoke or withdraw the permit and have you deleted from the intermediary register. Note: As a rule, your local Chamber of Commerce also offers an online procedure.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy (BMWi)

Last update or date of publication