Business registration

If you want to start the independent operation of a standing trade, branch or branch, you must report it to the competent authority at the same time.

A business registration is always necessary when you start a standing business. This is the case with

  • Re-establishment of an operation,
  • New establishment of a branch,
  • New establishment of an independent branch,
  • Takeover of an existing business, e.B. by purchase or lease,
  • Conversion of a sole proprietor's business into another legal form,
  • Relocation of an establishment from one authority to another authority (applies to one authority as a task, to the other authority as a new body).

The trade declaration must be made at the same time as the start of the operation.

  • The obligation to notify is only in the case of a commercial activity. Excluded from the obligation to notify are the activities referred to in Section 6 (1) Of the GewO.

These include:

  • Primary production (cattle breeding, agriculture, hunting, forestry and fisheries)
  • Professions (e.g. lawyers, notaries, tax consultants, accountants, doctors, scientific, artistic and literary activities)
  • Education of children for remuneration
  • Education

The purpose of the notification of a trade is to enable the competent authority to monitor the exercise of the trade and to carry out statistical surveys.

  • Completed form for business registration
  • Proof of identity (e.B. identity card or passport)
  • Other identification options are also possible for electronic business registration (e.B. electronic identity card, de-mail, PIN/TAN procedure)
  • Commercial register extract (for legal entities or partnerships, such as .B. OHG, KG)
  • Beiblatt Persons entitled to represent

Forms can be obtained from the appropriate body or on the Internet.


They want to run a business. Traders are natural or legal persons (share company, limited liability company, registered cooperative or registered association, limited partnership on shares). Notifiable are:

  • Individual trades of individual traders
  • partnerships (e.B. OHG, GbR) the shareholders entitled to the management
  • KG of any personally liable partner, the limited partners of a KG only if they have the power to conduct the management
  • corporations (e.B. GmbH, AG) the legal representative

Related Links

  • Section 14 Trade Code (GewO) (obligation to notify)
  • Section 15 Trade Code (GewO) (Certificate of Receipt)
  • Section 11 Trade Code (Data Protection Notice)
  • Trade Cost Ordinance - GewKostVO M-V

When changing the legal form, you must submit both a business deregistration (for the business abandonment under the old legal form) and a business declaration (for the commencement of operations under the new legal form).

What is a trade:

Trade is any non-socially unvalued, profit-making and permanent activity carried out independently in its own name and on its own account. It does not matter whether a profit is actually made.

In particular, no trade is carried out in activities which are not of any use, liberal professions (such as doctors, lawyers or tax consultants) or other activities which require university studies. No trade is also the original production (e.B. agriculture and forestry), the scientific management consultancy or the management of own assets (e.B. a tenement house) as well as generally prohibited or socially unworthy activities (e.B. illegal gambling).

You must register the start of a standing trade with the competent authority. The same applies to the operation of a branch or an independent branch.

Some commercial activities are subject to authorisation. Others are subject to surveillance. They are subject to additional requirements.

Find out at an early stage which personal, financial and professional requirements you have to meet in order to be able to work in these business areas.

You can register for the trade in person, in writing or electronically. To do this, use the "Commercial Registration" form (GewA 1). If, as a trader, you do not register the trade yourself but as a managing partner or as a legal representative, you will need a written authorisation.

In case of a written or electronic trade registration, you will receive the confirmation of your business registration (the so-called "commercial certificate" within 3 days) provided that you have completed the registration form completely and correctly. If you speak in person, you will receive the confirmation directly at the time of registration.

The competent body forwards the trade registration to other bodies such as the Tax Office, the Chamber of Crafts or Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Register Office and the Trade Association.

If your trade also requires a permit (e.B. guarding industry, operation of a restaurant) and if this is not available, the competent authority may prohibit the continuation of the operation.

The procedure can also be handled through a single point of contact.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Economy and Energy (BMWi) and Ministry of Economy, Labour and Health Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Last update or date of publication