apply for a licence to supply temporary workers Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to hire out employees to a third party, you generally need a permit to do so.

Temporary employment is also referred to as temporary or loaned work. To obtain a permit for this, you must submit an application to the relevant employment agency.

The permit is issued by the employment agency for a limited period of one year. It can be granted for an unlimited period if you have been permitted to work for three consecutive years.

When hiring out employees, you must ensure, among other things, that

  • the principle of equality and the collective agreements are correctly applied,
  • the maximum duration of the temporary employment is respected,
  • temporary workers are classified correctly and in accordance with the work they actually perform,
  • the minimum wages and the reimbursement of expenses are paid and the provisions of the Part-Time Work and Fixed-Term Employment Act are complied with,
  • remuneration and compensation benefits as well as holiday or holiday pay are correctly granted (also during periods of non-employment),
  • wage tax and contributions to all branches of social insurance are correctly paid.

The Employment Agency will check whether you are complying with the regulations by means of company audits.

  • Copy of the current extract from the commercial register
  • Copy of the articles of association
  • Copy of the business registration
  • Information on construction company status (AÜG 2c)
  • Proof of application for a certificate of good conduct (document type 0)
  • Information from the central business register (GZR 3/GZR4)
  • Certificate from the employers' liability insurance association
  • Certificate from health insurance company
  • Extracts from all business accounts (certificate of creditworthiness)
  • Sample employment contract for temporary workers
  • Sample of an employee leasing contract

For further details on the required documents, please refer to the application for permission to supply temporary workers (AÜG 2a).

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Antrag auf Erlaubnis zur Arbeitnehmer-Überlassung (AÜG 2a)


  • Reliability under trade law: You are likely to be able to operate your trade properly.
  • There are no reasons in your case that speak against a permit, for example because of relevant criminal records, violations of regulations of social security law or obligations under labour law.
  • You have your registered office in Germany or in another state of the European Union or the European Economic Area.

Related Links

  • § 1 Gesetz zur Regelung der Arbeitnehmerüberlassung (Arbeitnehmerüberlassungsgesetz - AÜG)

Related Links

  • Informationen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Arbeitnehmerüberlassung
  • Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit für Leiharbeitnehmerinnen und Leiharbeitnehmer

You can apply for permission to supply temporary workers in writing to the Employment Agency:

  • Download the form "Antrag auf Erlaubnis zur Arbeitnehmerüberlassung (AÜG 2a)" from the website of the Agentur für Arbeit.
  • Fill out the form.
  • Print out the form and attach the necessary supporting documents.
  • Submit the application documents to the relevant employment agency. You can find out which employment agency is responsible for you on the application form. There you will also find the postal addresses of the relevant offices to which you must send the form.
  • You will first be asked to pay the applicable fee by post.
  • You will then receive the requested permit or a rejection of your application by post.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication