Apply for funding for energy advice for residential buildings Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you decide to have energy advice for residential buildings, you are entitled to a grant of 80 percent. Approved energy consultants apply for the funds on your behalf.

The programme "Federal funding for energy consulting for residential buildings" of the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) can be used for residential buildings. It is aimed at

  • Owners of single-family and multi-family houses,
  • condominium owners' associations,
  • usufructuaries and
  • tenants and
  • tenants.

Funding is provided for consultancy costs amounting to 80 percent of the eligible consultancy fee:

  • a maximum of EUR 1,300 for detached or semi-detached houses and
  • a maximum of EUR 1,700 for residential buildings with 3 or more residential units.

Condominium owners' associations receive a bonus of EUR 500.00 if the results of the consultation are presented at a special meeting (e.g. at an advisory board meeting or a condominium owners' meeting).

The funding programme is handled by an energy consultant. The energy advisor applies for the funds him/herself. The energy consultant receives the energy consulting subsidy from BAFA and issues an invoice reduced by the subsidy amount.

The energy consultant must present the results of the consultation in an energy consultation report, preferably an individual renovation roadmap (iSFP). He or she will hand this out to you and explain it to you.
Funding is provided in accordance with the provisions of the de minimis Regulation if the owner of the residential building is an enterprise within the meaning of the recommendation concerning the definition of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises.

  • Data on the person advised
  • data on the consulting object
  • After the energy consulting has been carried out, the proof of use must be submitted. This consists in particular of
    • the invoice of the energy consultant
    • the proof of payment of the personal contribution by the advised person,
    • the energy consulting report and
    • the signed declaration of use

- Forms: no

- Online procedure: yes

- Written form required: yes

- Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Registrierung für Berater-Anerkennung


  • Only energy consultants who have been approved by BAFA on the basis of their professional qualifications are eligible to apply.
  • Energy consulting for residential buildings includes at least the following steps:
    • a data collection on site,
    • the preparation of an energy consulting report (in particular an individual renovation roadmap) as well as
    • the handing out and subsequent explanation of this report to you as the person receiving the advice.
  • Subsidised energy advice can only be claimed if
    • the building is located in Germany
    • the building application for the residential building dates back at least 10 years,
    • the building is predominantly used for residential purposes and falls within the scope of the Building Energy Act (Gebäudeenergiegesetz, GEG).
  • As an advised person, you must pay a personal contribution.

A subsidy is excluded if

  • you, as the person being advised, are yourself licensed as an energy advisor for this funding programme,
  • you are the wife/life partner or husband/life partner of the energy consultant,
  • the majority of the residential building is owned by the federal or state government,
  • the owner is a company that does not meet the requirements for micro-enterprises and SMEs,
  • the owner of the building is a company that could use its own staff with the qualifications required for licensing,
  • the energy consulting company has even partial ownership rights to the residential building
  • the recipient of the advice has himself/herself been approved by the granting authority as an energy advisor for the funding programme;
  • the recipient of the advice is a company in respect of whose assets insolvency proceedings have been applied for or opened,
  • the recipient of the advice is a company which has received de minimis aid totalling at least EUR 200,000 (EUR 100,000 in the case of companies in the road transport sector) in the current year and in the previous two fiscal years including the support under these Guidelines,
  • the recipient of the aid is an undertaking which is otherwise excluded under Article 1 of the de minimis Regulation.

Related Links

  • Richtlinie für die Bundesförderung der Energieberatung für Wohngebäude (Vor-Ort-Beratung, individueller Sanierungsfahrplan) vom 28.01.2020

Related Links

  • Mehr Informationen zum Förderprogramm "Bundesförderung für Energieberatung für Wohngebäude"
  • Informationen zur Suche nach zugelassenen Energieberaterinnen und Energieberatern

You commission an approved energy advisor to provide energy advice for residential buildings.

  • The energy consultant then submits a grant application for your residential building via BAFA's online portal and receives a funding notification.
    • In order to submit the application online, the energy advisor must register with his/her user account.
    • If the energy consultant does not yet have a user account, he/she must register with BAFA ("consultant recognition").
  • The energy consultant now has a maximum of 9 months to carry out the consultation and to hand over and explain the energy consultation report to you.
  • For the consulting service, the energy consultant will issue you an invoice reduced by the amount of the subsidy.
  • After the explanatory meeting, which can also be held by telephone with your consent, you and the energy consultant must sign the declaration of use. The energy consultant submits this to BAFA for review, together with the invoice and the energy consulting report.
  • Finally, the grant is paid to the energy consultant.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

Last update or date of publication