Apply for exemption from compulsory insurance in the statutory health insurance scheme Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you are subject to compulsory insurance in the statutory health insurance, you can be exempted from this in certain cases. You submit the application to your statutory health insurance fund.
In Germany there is a general obligation to take out health insurance. It is determined by law who is compulsorily insured in the statutory health insurance and who is exempt from insurance.
In exceptional cases, you can be exempted from compulsory insurance in the statutory health insurance. The exceptions mainly apply to persons who were previously exempt from insurance and who become liable for insurance due to the legal regulations.
Exemption from compulsory insurance means that you must take out voluntary statutory insurance or a contract with a private health insurance company. To be exempt from compulsory insurance in the statutory health insurance system, you must prove that you are covered in the event of illness.
You apply for exemption from compulsory insurance with the statutory health insurance fund.
As a rule, you cannot reverse the exemption. A change from private to statutory health insurance, for example, is only possible under certain conditions.
- Proof of your entitlement to cover in the event of illness, for example confirmation from your private health insurance company.
Depending on the special case, further documents may be required. Please contact your statutory health insurance provider for more information.
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: Many statutory health insurers offer an online procedure.
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: no
Zum Antrag auf Befreiung von der Versicherungspflicht über den Kassen-Navigator des GKV-Spitzenverbands
The prerequisite for exemption from compulsory insurance is that you are entitled to cover in the event of illness, i.e. that you are for example
- have private health insurance.
- You will continue to receive allowance or free medical care and your salary in the event of illness. This is the case, for example, for civil servants, police officers or members of the armed forces.
You can apply for exemption from compulsory insurance if
- the statutory annual earnings limit for compulsory insurance is increased. You have become subject to compulsory insurance because your annual income is now below the annual earnings limit.
- you receive unemployment benefit and have not been covered by statutory health insurance in the past 5 years.
- you reduce your weekly working hours by at least 50 percent and you have been exempt from insurance for at least 5 years.
- You reduce your weekly working hours due to care or family care periods.
- You work part-time for a maximum of 30 hours per week during parental leave.
- you take up part-time employment after parental, care or family care leave, you have also been exempt from insurance for at least 5 years and your income would be above the annual earnings limit if you worked full-time.
- you become subject to compulsory insurance because you are drawing a pension
- you participate in a measure, e.g. of the pension insurance, for participation in working life.
- you are starting a course of study.
- you are engaged in unpaid practical work, e.g. an internship.
- you are employed as a disabled person in an institution, for example a recognised workshop for disabled people.
§ 8 Sozialgesetzbuch Fünftes Buch (SGB V)
Informationen zur Jahresentgeltgrenze sowie weiteren Rechengrößen und Grenzwerten auf der Internetseite des GKV-Spitzenverbands
- You can submit the application for exemption from compulsory insurance by post and - for many statutory health insurance funds - in person at the office or online.
- If you are privately insured, it is not possible for you to authenticate yourself securely with a statutory health insurance fund, as is required for the online procedure. Therefore, you can only use the analogue method.
- Send the application to the statutory health insurance fund with which you are insured, or - if you are not insured by a statutory health insurance fund - to a statutory health insurance fund that is open to insured persons at your place of residence or employment.
- Fill out the application form of the statutory health insurance fund and submit it to the health insurance fund together with the required documents. There are usually different forms depending on the reason for exemption.
The health insurance fund checks whether you can be exempted from compulsory insurance and informs you of the result.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication