Renew flag certificate for pleasure craft Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Flag certificates for seaworthy pleasure craft expire after 8 years. In order to continue to fly the German flag on board after that, you must submit an application for renewal.

The flag certificate serves as proof of entitlement to fly the German flag on a seagoing vessel or a seaworthy recreational craft with a hull length of up to 15 metres.
It is issued to natural persons, associations of persons or legal entities. They must have a domicile or registered office in Germany and either be German nationals or citizens of the European Union (EU).
Flag certificates are valid for 8 years and must be renewed regularly. If you would like to extend a flag certificate that has already been issued, you must submit a corresponding application to the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH). This can also be done by post, as you must send the original flag certificate to the authority. Fees must be paid in advance.

  • original flag certificate to be renewed
  • if applicable, a copy of proof of amended information
  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • If applicable, joint owner's agreement with proof of the personal data of the respective owners (copy)
  • Confirmation of full payment (copy of relevant receipts)

Forms: Yes

Online procedure possible: No

Written form required: Yes

Personal appearance required: No

Related Links

  • PDF-Antrag auf Änderung oder Verlängerung eines bestehenden Flaggenzertifikats


You already have a flag certificate.

Related Links

  • § 22 Flaggenrechtsgesetz (FlaggRG)
  • § 18 Flaggenrechtsverordnung (FlRV)

Related Links

  • Informationen rund um Flaggenzertifikate für Sportboote auf der Internetseite des BSH

You can apply for the extension of the flag certificate at the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency. This is possible by post.

  • Visit the BSH website and go to the section for flag certificates.
  • Select the PDF form "Application for amendment or extension of a flag certificate".
  • You can fill it out on the computer and print it out or print it out and fill it out by hand.
  • Send the completed form together with the required documents and evidence by post to the BSH.
  • Explanations of the application and information about the flag certificate can also be found on the BSH website.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure

Last update or date of publication