Apply for a permit to carry mail commercially Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to carry letters commercially, you must apply for a permit to do so.

You always need a licence for the commercial transport of letters if you collect, forward or deliver letter mail items. To obtain this licence, you must prove that you have the necessary reliability, ability and expertise.
If you are only carrying mail as an assistant for a licensed postal service provider, you do not need a license. You also do not need a licence if you are transporting letters that are enclosed with another item and relate exclusively to its contents (for example, an invoice).

  • Detailed description of your business idea
  • Business registration (copy, current)
  • Extract from the commercial register
  • Further documents (e.g. certificate of good conduct, information from the commercial central register) on request

Form: Application for a postal licence

Online procedure possible: yes

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Antrag auf Erteilung einer Postlizenz (pdf, 1 MB)


  • You must have registered your business
  • You must not be overindebted or insolvent
  • You must prove that you meet the requirements for reliability, efficiency and expertise


If you deliver letters of no more than 1,000 grams without permission, you can be fined up to 500,000 euros.

Related Links

  • Postgesetz (PostG)

Related Links

  • Hinweise zum Lizenzantrag auf der Internetseite der Bundesnetzagenur
  • Bundesnetzagentur: Erteilte Lizenzen für Postdienstleistungen

You can apply for a licence to carry letter mail items in writing or by e-mail:

  • Send the completed form together with the other documents to the Federal Network Agency by post or e-mail.
  • You will then receive a separate advisory letter asking you to submit further information and documents.
  • You will be assigned a contact person for the licensing procedure who will guide you through the process.
  • The Federal Network Agency will inform you in writing whether you are granted the licence.

Responsible for the content
Federal Network Agency for Electricity, Gas, Telecommunications, Post and Railway

Last update or date of publication