Repay BAföG loan Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you received BAföG support during your studies, you must repay the loan portion.
If you are studying, you will generally only receive half of your BAföG as a grant. The other half is paid as an interest-free loan, which you have to pay back. You will receive the request from the Federal Office of Administration for this about 4.5 years after the end of the standard period of study.
No matter how high your BAföG loan is, you have to pay back a maximum of EUR 10,000. For those who received BAföG funding for the first time from 01.08.2019 or later, a maximum of 77 monthly instalments of EUR 130.00 each must be repaid (i.e. a maximum of EUR 10,010 in total; repayment instalments reduced on application depending on income count as full monthly instalments, so the total repayment amount can then also be lower, even if a total of more than EUR 10,010 was paid out as a loan).
If you want to pay at least EUR 500.00 before the start of the repayment period, you can receive a discount and have to repay less. You receive the largest possible discount if you pay the full amount in one go before the start of the repayment period.
In principle, you do not have to pay any interest on the BAföG loan and you have up to 20 years to repay it.
- The amount of the monthly repayment instalment is EUR 130.
The instalments are paid every 3 months in the amount of EUR 390. If you have a low income, you can apply for a deferment of the repayment obligation of your BAföG loan or for the payment of lower instalments ("income-dependent repayment"). If you pay an instalment more than 45 days late, you will incur reminder fees and interest.
At the end of the 20-year repayment period, the Federal Office of Administration will automatically check to see if you can have the remaining loan debt forgiven. You can be released from the remaining debt if you
- received BAföG funding with a loan component for the first time as of 01.08.2019,
- were not financially able to repay the BAföG loan in full, and
- you have fulfilled your payment and cooperation obligations during the entire repayment period.
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no
Personal appearance required: no
- You have received BAföG with a loan component during your studies.
- You have not exclusively received an interest-bearing BAföG bank loan, as was the case until 31.07.2019, for example, for graduation assistance.
§§ 18, 18a, 21 Bundesgesetz über individuelle Förderung der Ausbildung (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz - BAföG)
Verordnung über die Einziehung der nach dem Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz geleisteten Darlehen (DarlehensV)
Informationen zur Rückzahlung auf der Internetseite des Bundesverwaltungsamtes
Online-Portal für Änderungsmitteilungen, Anträge, Nachweise, SEPA-Lastschriftmandate und Anfragen
You can repay your BAföG loan in writing or by online procedure:
- About 4.5 years after the end of the standard period of study of your first BAföG-funded degree program, you will receive a letter from the Federal Office of Administration, the so-called "Feststellungs- und Rückzahlungsbescheid".
- The letter informs you about the amount, when and how exactly you have to repay the BAföG.
- It also contains an offer for early repayment of the BAföG loan and informs you about the highest possible discount you can receive.
- Please then complete the direct debit authorisation form and return it to the Federal Office of Administration. The instalments will then be collected from your account every 3 months via a SEPA direct debit mandate.
- If you miss a payment date by more than 45 days, interest will accrue. From that point on, 6 percent interest will be charged annually on your remaining debt. This interest will apply until the outstanding balance is paid in full.
- Please remember to notify us immediately of any changes to your name or address. By doing so, you will avoid costs for determining your address (EUR 25).
- Go to the BAföG-Online portal of the Federal Office of Administration and register there.
- After registration you will receive a confirmation by e-mail. Follow the steps in the e-mail to complete the registration.
- After the registration was successful, you can log in with your e-mail address and password. In the portal you will find all essential forms concerning the repayment of your BAföG loan.
- If you log in with your electronic identity card, more functions are available to you.
For example, you can view your current remaining loan debt and your current payment plan.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
Last update or date of publication