claim education benefit Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As a person with disabilities, you can receive training allowance to cover your living expenses if you take part in certain training measures.

If you have a disability and are participating in certain educational measures, you can apply for financial support from the Employment Agency to ensure your livelihood. The amount of the training allowance depends on how high the training allowance needs rate is and how high your income, that of your parents and that of your spouse or registered partner is. Income only plays a role during vocational training.

You will not be reimbursed for personal expenses, such as rent, clothing or food. The training allowance is based on general needs and is calculated as a lump sum.

The amount of the training allowance depends on

  • the measure in which you are participating and
  • the type of accommodation, i.e. where you are accommodated during the measure. This could be with your parents or in a hostel, with the trainer, in your own household, in a boarding school or in a special institution for disabled people.

In the case of vocational training, you will usually receive the training allowance for a period of 18 months. Depending on the training measure, your training allowance may also be approved for a shorter period or extended after the 18 months.

You will also receive training allowance for holiday periods if these are within the measure and the Employment Agency has recognised them as part of the measure.

If you interrupt your participation for health reasons, you will continue to receive the training allowance until the end of the third full calendar month following the onset of the illness, but at most until the scheduled end of your measure. The day of the illness counts towards this three-month period.

For absences for reasons other than health, you are only entitled to training allowance if the Employment Agency recognises an important reason for the interruption of participation. Important reasons include, for example:

  • Marriage
  • birth of a child
  • change of residence
  • Attendance at a court hearing

Training allowance is paid monthly in arrears. If you are not entitled to training allowance for the full month, you will receive one thirtieth of the monthly amount for each calendar day.

The training allowance is paid to you as a grant and you do not have to pay it back.

  • Proof of your income in the case of vocational training (e.g. tax statement from your parents, certificate from the training centre regarding training allowance)
  • Copy of your training contract in the case of vocational training
  • Further information on the required documents can be found on the application form.
  • Forms: on request
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no


  • You have a disability.
  • It is basically your first vocational training.
  • You are taking part in a vocational preparation training measure including basic training or
  • You are participating in an individual in-company qualification within the framework of supported employment or
  • You are undergoing an initial training procedure or vocational training in a sheltered workshop or with another service provider.
  • You are not entitled to transitional allowance.

Related Links

  • §§ 122 bis 126 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)

Related Links

  • Finanzielle Hilfen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
  • Merkblatt zur Förderung der Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben (Merkblatt 12)

You must apply for the training allowance in writing:

  • Make an appointment for a consultation at your employment agency.
  • During the consultation, the different calculation bases and requirements that influence the amount of the training allowance will be clarified.
  • You will also receive the necessary forms there.
  • Fill out the forms and submit them to the Employment Agency together with the necessary documents.
  • You will then receive the decision by mail.


  • If your training measure lasts longer than 18 months, the Employment Agency will automatically send you a questionnaire in good time. Fill it out and return the questionnaire with the necessary documents to the Employment Agency so that you continue to receive your training allowance.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication