Obtain approval for the use of plant protection products on public land Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
Plant protection products can be applied in public areas, such as parks or cemeteries, by competent persons if they have been approved for this purpose by the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety.
On land used by the general public, the use of pesticides should be minimized as much as possible.
Such areas include, for example:
- public parks and gardens,
- green areas in buildings open to the public,
- publicly accessible sports grounds including golf courses,
- school and kindergarten grounds,
- cemeteries and
- areas in the immediate vicinity of health care facilities.
If you are a competent person, you can only use certain plant protection products on these areas after approval by the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety (BVL).
You will receive this approval if:
- the plant protection product is already approved and an extension of the approval is only applied for for this specific application, and
- there is a public interest in the application and
- the examination shows that the plant protection product has no harmful effects on the general public due to its chemical properties when used as intended and in the appropriate manner.
Plant protection products are excluded from the authorisation if they are
- are classified in certain hazard classes, or
- which are endocrine-disrupting harmful to humans.
Apart from the application form, you do not need to submit any other documents.
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: no
Antrag auf Genehmigung der Anwendung eines zugelassenen Pflanzenschutzmittels in einem mit der Zulassung festgesetzten Anwendungsgebiet zur Anwendung auf Flächen, die für die Allgemeinheit bestimmt sind
- There is a public interest in the use of the plant protection product.
- The assessment shows that the plant protection product does not have any harmful effects on the general public due to its chemical properties when used as intended and in accordance with the instructions.
The plant protection product is not classified in one of these legal hazard classes:
- Carcinogenicity, category 1A or 1B or category 2
- Germ cell mutagenicity, category 1A or 1B or category 2
- Reproductive toxicity, category 1A or 1B or category 2
- Effects on or via lactation
- Respiratory sensitisation, category 1
- skin sensitisation, category 1
- serious eye damage, category 1
- acute toxicity, category 1, 2 or 3
- specific target organ toxicity, category 1 or category 2
- Skin corrosion, category 1A, 1B or 1C
- Aspiration hazard, category 1
- The plant protection product is not endocrine disrupting to humans.
§ 17 Absatz 1 Satz 1 Nummer 3 Pflanzenschutzgesetz (PflSchG)
Informationen zur Anwendung von Pflanzenschutzmitteln auf Flächen, die für die Allgemeinheit bestimmt sind auf der Internetseite des Bundesamts für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit
You must submit a written request for approval. Proceed as follows:
- Open the BVL website and download the "Application for authorisation of the use of an authorised plant protection product in an area of application established by the authorisation for use on land intended for the general public".
- Complete the application on your computer, print it out, sign it and send it to the BVL by post or e-mail (email@example.com).
- The BVL will review your application.
You will receive an approval or rejection by post.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture
Last update or date of publication