Request image files for labelling tobacco packages or cigarette packets with text-image warnings Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As a manufacturer or importer of cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco and water pipe tobacco, you must print text image warnings on your cigarette and tobacco packaging. You can obtain the image files from the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety.

The notices for cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco and water pipe tobacco consist of a health warning with an accompanying picture. An example is: "Smoking causes fatal lung cancer" with a picture of a so-called smoker's lung.

As a mandatory labelling element, the picture warnings must cover two thirds of the front and two thirds of the back of the packaging. They are placed in addition to other general information and warnings such as "Smoking kills".

The image library for designing packaging with combined health warnings for smoking tobacco products is not publicly available. Therefore, you have to apply for the files at the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety (BVL).

You may only use the image files in accordance with the European Commission's conditions of use. The technical specifications for layout, design and form of the warnings can be found in the respective implementing decisions of the European Union.

You may need to submit a power of attorney.

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: yes

Written form required: no

Personal appearance required: no

Confidence level: substantial

Request files for tobacco packaging design online (available soon)


Only tobacco companies receive the files for the purpose of labelling certain tobacco products or depicting them in advertising.

Related Links

  • Artikel 8 bis 11 der Richtlinie 2014/40/EU des europäischen Parlaments und des Rates vom 3. April 2014
  • § 6 Tabakerzeugnisgesetz (TabakerzG)
  • §§ 11 und 12 Tabakerzeugnisverordnung (TabakerzV)
  • §14 Tabakerzeugnisverordnung (TabakerzV)
  • Durchführungsbeschluss (EU) 2015/1842 der Kommission vom 09.10.2015 über die technischen Spezifikationen für das Layout, die Gestaltung und die Form der kombinierten gesundheitsbezogenen Warnhinweise für Rauchtabakerzeugnisse
  • Durchführungsbeschluss (EU) 2015/1735 der Kommission vom 24.09.2015 zur genauen Anordnung des allgemeinen Warnhinweises und der Informationsbotschaft auf in Beuteln verkauftem Tabak zum Selbstdrehen

Related Links

  • Anforderungen für Tabakerzeugnisse auf der Internetseite des Bundesamts für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit
  • Fragen und Antworten zu Tabakerzeugnissen auf der Internetseite des Bundesamts für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit

You can request the high-resolution image files for the warning notices in the online procedure or by post.

  • Online procedure
    • Fill out the online form and select the type of delivery. You can choose between sending the DVD by post or providing it via a download.
    • After logging into your organization account, you can submit the form.
    • Note: Online procedure available soon
  • By mail
    • You will find the form on the website of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture - fill it out online or download it first.
    • Print out, sign and stamp the completed form and send it by post to the BVL.
  • The BVL will check whether your application is complete and whether your company is eligible to receive the text image warnings.
  • After a positive check, you will receive the image files as a DVD by post or download. Please take the shipping and processing times into account when planning your application.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture

Last update or date of publication