receive child benefit Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
Your child had an accident at kindergarten or school and therefore has to be looked after by you at home? Then you can get child injury benefit under certain conditions.
Child injury benefit replaces your lost income if you have to care for your injured child under the age of 12 at home.
You are entitled to child injury benefit per year and per child for a maximum of
- a maximum of 10 working days for couples or
- a maximum of 20 working days for single parents.
- Medical certificate for the receipt of sickness benefit in the event of a child falling ill.
Please ask your local accident insurance fund whether you need to submit any further documents.
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: no
Personal appearance required: no
Serviceportal der Deutschen Gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung
You are entitled to child injury benefit if:
- You have to supervise, look after or care for a child in your household as a result of an insured event (industrial accident or occupational disease),
- your child has not yet reached the age of 12,
- you were entitled to a salary or another cash benefit, e.g. sickness benefit, unemployment benefit, before you had to supervise, look after or care for your child, and
- no other person living in your household can look after your child.
§ 45 Absatz 4 Sozialgesetzbuch Siebtes Buch (SGB VII)
§ 45 Sozialgesetzbuch Fünftes Buch (SGB V)
Informationen zum Verletztengeld auf der Internetseite der Deutschen Gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung
Informationen zur Unfallversicherung in der Schule auf der Internetseite des Bundesministeriums für Arbeit und Soziales
The procedure varies depending on whether your child is covered by family insurance with your statutory health insurance fund or has statutory or private health insurance with the other parent.
If the child is family-insured with your statutory health insurance fund:
- Your statutory health insurance fund is responsible.
- Your doctor issues a medical certificate for the receipt of sickness benefit in case of illness of the child.
- Submit the certificate to your health insurance fund.
- Your health insurance fund will pay you child injury benefit on behalf of the relevant accident insurance fund.
If the child has statutory or private health insurance with the other parent:
- The accident insurance fund of the federal state in which the kindergarten or school is located is responsible.
- Your doctor will issue a medical certificate for the receipt of sick pay in the event of the child's illness.
- Submit an application (in writing or by telephone) to the relevant accident insurance fund for the granting of child injury benefit.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Last update or date of publication