Preventing an occupational disease or avoiding the aggravation of an occupational disease Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
Are you exposed to a hazard at work that can lead to the development, aggravation or resurgence of an occupational disease? Do you have initial health complaints? Then you are entitled to preventive measures under certain conditions.
The social accident insurance institutions and the accident insurance fund can support you with preventive individual measures (individual prevention).
The measures are intended to counteract occupational hazards that may lead to an occupational disease. This applies to the following cases:
- the onset,
- the recurrence or
- the aggravation
- of an occupational disease.
Your responsible employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund will work out the individual preventive measures and offer them to you. In doing so, your Berufsgenossenschaft or accident insurance fund will take into account your personal illness and the working conditions at your workplace.
The aim of individual preventive measures is to enable you to continue working as before without your health deteriorating. Depending on the occupational hazard and health complaints, the following measures are possible:
- technical measures at the workplace (e.g. installation of technical extraction equipment, structural changes)
- Organizational measures at the workplace (e.g. reorganization of work processes, transfer of other activities, time limitation of hazardous activities)
- Optimisation of protective measures (e.g. breathing mask, protective gloves, ear muffs)
- Health education seminars (e.g. skin protection seminars, back health training)
- Intensive personal counselling (e.g. occupational disease consultation hours, activity-related care/counselling on site with the involvement of the company doctor).
- Treatment measures (e.g. treatment mandate, assumption of costs for special therapies)
You do not need to submit any documentation.
- Form necessary: no
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance necessary: no
Serviceportal der Deutschen Gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung
You may be entitled to preventive individual measures vis-à-vis your Berufsgenossenschaft or accident insurance fund if:
- You have health complaints as a result of carrying out your work activity which could become an occupational disease, or.
- You already have an occupational disease and notice an aggravation.
§ 3 Absatz 1 Satz 1 Berufskrankheitenverordnung (BKV)
§ 9 Absatz 4 Satz 3 Sozialgesetzbuch Siebtes Buch (SGB VII)
Informationen zur Individualprävention auf der Internetseite des Klinikverbunds der Deutschen Gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung (DGUV)
Informationen zur Individualprävention auf der Internetseite des Instituts für Prävention und Arbeitsmedizin (IPA) der Deutschen Gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung (DGUV)
Your Employer's Liability Insurance Association or accident insurance fund will contact you if they learn of a suspected occupational disease. The Berufsgenossenschaft or Unfallkasse may be informed, for example, by your:
- company doctor
- the specialist treating you, or
- by your health insurance fund.
You can also notify your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund yourself if you are exposed to a relevant occupational hazard and have initial health complaints. This can be done informally by:
Your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund will examine ex officio which specific offers are individually suitable. It will contact you and the necessary persons (e.g. employer, company doctor, attending physicians). The necessary measures will be taken in consultation with all those involved.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Last update or date of publication