Registering a company, self-employed or freelance activity for statutory accident insurance Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you start a business, become self-employed or freelance, you usually have to register this with the accident insurance company.
The statutory accident insurance insures your employees against the consequences of accidents at work and on the way to work as well as occupational diseases. Registration and payment of contributions are the responsibility of the employer. If you are self-employed or freelance, you can take out voluntary insurance.
To register, you must provide the relevant accident insurance institution with the following information
- the type and object of the business
- the number of insured persons,
- the date of opening or the date of commencement of preparatory work for the enterprise, and
- in cases where the company does not have a fixed place of business in Germany, the name and place of residence or habitual abode of the authorised representative.
communicate the name and residence or habitual abode of the authorised representative.
If you register your business at the local trade office, you do not need to register separately for accident insurance. The business registration is automatically forwarded to the responsible accident insurance institution. As a rule, the commercial employers' liability insurance associations (Berufsgenossenschaften) are responsible for companies, institutions and freelancers as insurance carriers, which are divided according to industry. For public institutions and public-sector companies, the public-sector insurance carriers (accident insurance funds) are responsible.
As an entrepreneur or freelancer, you are usually not automatically insured. However, you can voluntarily insure yourself against the consequences of accidents at work and on the way to and from work as well as occupational diseases with your employers' liability insurance association.
Note: Only one accident insurance institution is ever responsible for your company, even if your company has components in different industries. The main focus of the company is decisive for this. There is no right of choice.
You do not need to submit any additional documentation.
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: yes
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: no
There is an obligation to notify the competent body in the case of:
- new establishment of a company
- Change of the form of the enterprise or of the activity
§ 192 Absatz 1 Siebtes Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB VII)
§ 14 Gewerbeordnung (GewO)
§ 55c Gewerbeordnung (GewO)
Hinweise der DGUV zum zuständigen Unfallversicherungsträger
Informationen der DGUV zur Versicherung für Unternehmer sowie für andere Selbstständige/Freiberufler
Informationen der DGUV zu den Leistungen der gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung
Registration with your accident insurance institution is automatic for companies subject to notification under the Trade Regulation Act:
- The trade office forwards the data from the trade notification digitally to the responsible accident insurance institution.
- You will receive further information from your accident insurance institution.
- If necessary, you must provide the relevant accident insurance institution with further information about your business so that it can be registered.
In all other cases, you can register online or in writing:
To register online:
- Call up the service portal of the employers' liability insurance associations and accident insurance funds.
- Answer the questions asked in full to register your company, freelance or self-employed activity.
- Your registration will then be automatically forwarded to your accident insurance institution.
- Once the enrolment investigations have been completed, your accident insurance institution will send you the enrolment documents and information material.
For a written registration:
- Search the website of the German Social Accident Insurance for the accident insurance institution responsible for you.
- You can register your company informally with the chosen accident insurance institution or download and print out a registration form from the accident insurance institution's website.
- To register your business, freelance or self-employed activity, answer the questions in full.
- Send the completed registration form to the relevant accident insurance institution.
- Once the enrolment investigations have been completed, you will receive the enrolment documents and information material from your accident insurance institution.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)
Last update or date of publication