Request reimbursement for lost local transport fare Substantial Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you, as a transport company, transport severely disabled persons and their accompanying persons, guide dogs, assistance dogs or objects carried free of charge on local public transport, you can apply for reimbursement of fare losses.

The Federal Office of Administration (BVA) reimburses transport companies in local and long-distance transport for fare losses incurred for the transport of severely disabled persons and their accompanying persons.
You can receive reimbursement for a completed calendar year. If you have received advance payments for the settled year, the corresponding amount will be credited.
The Federal Office of Administration (BVA) will reimburse you for the costs incurred in local transport for the transportation of

  • severely disabled persons,
  • their accompanying persons,
  • their guide, companion or assistance dogs and
  • carried objects, for example hand luggage, wheelchairs or other orthopedic aids.

The amount of reimbursement depends on the percentage rate of your federal state or a reimbursement rate determined individually for you.

When submitting your application, you must submit:

  • Proof of the total fare income in the area of application of the Ninth Social Code (SGB IX) in the form of a certificate from an auditing company.
  • Proof of the actual and percentage share of the route traveled in the area of application of the Ninth Social Code (SGB IX)
  • if the application concerns a bus company or the application includes revenue from a bus company, the current concessions of the routes must be submitted
  • if the application is based on an individual percentage rate: a certificate based on an approved traffic count

If you are applying for the first time to the Federal Administration Office (BVA), you must also submit:

  • the shareholders' agreement of your company
  • the extract from the commercial register
  • the proof of the local transport status of the licensing authorities
  • the cooperation agreements between the contracting parties required for reimbursement
  • the permits issued by the respective state authorities for the provision of transport services
  • Forms available: Yes
  • Written form required: Yes
  • Informal application possible: Yes
  • Personal appearance required: No
  • Online service: Yes


Reimbursement for lost fare can apply:

  • Transport companies
  • transport associations and
  • Local transport organizations (within the framework of gross contracts).

Further requirements:

  • The majority or all of your company is owned by the federal government.
  • You transport disabled persons and their accompanying persons on the basis of a corresponding ID card with a valid token
  • Compliance with the deadline according to SGB IX

Related Links

  • §§ 228 ff. Neuntes Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB IX) (Unentgeltliche Beförderung, Anspruch auf Erstattung der Fahrgeldausfälle)

Related Links

  • Fahrgelderstattung nach dem Schwerbehindertenrecht auf der In-ternetseite der BVA
  • Vordrucke
  • Aktuelle Informationen

You must apply online or in writing to the Federal Administrative Office (FCO) for final reimbursement of local transportation fare losses:

Written Application:

  • Download the final payment application from the BVA website.
  • Fill out the application. Print it out and sign it.
  • Mail the signed application and required documents to the BVA.
  • You may email the signed application to the BVA in advance.
  • Your application will be processed and reviewed by the BVA.
  • If you meet the requirements for reimbursement of lost fare, you will be paid the amount due to you.

Online application:

  • Go to the Federal Portal website and fill out the final payment application form electronically.
  • Attach the required documents as a scan.
  • Submit your application.
  • Your application will be processed and reviewed by the BVA.
  • If you meet the requirements for a final payment, you will receive the amount due to you.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Last update or date of publication