The Visa Warning File (VWD) supports authorities in issuing visas. This includes the German missions abroad. It supports foreigners authorities in the examination of declarations of commitment.
If you would like to know whether and what information the Visa Warning File stores about your organisation, the Federal Office of Administration will provide you with information. To do this, you must submit an application.
The Visa Warning File stores information about an organization if persons have acted on its behalf and
act as an inviter, sponsor or reference person in the visa procedure and thereby
- have made false statements or
- have not fulfilled their obligations when claimed, or
- have voluntarily allowed their data to be stored, for example if there is suspicion that statements have been made under their name without permission in visa procedures.
The data that the Visa Alert File holds on organisations includes:
- Name of the organization
- Registered office
- Mission or field of activity
- the name and location of the registry in which the organization is registered and the registry number
- the reason for the storage
- the visa warning file number of the Federal Office of Administration
The application data will be stored for up to 10 years, depending on the decision (positive, negative).
If applying online:
Proof of identity:
Online ID function (with self-selected, six-digit PIN)
- of the identity card
- of the electronic residence permit
- the electronic residence card
- the electronic permanent residence card or
- the eID card
In case of personal application:
Proof of identity:
- identity card, passport
If applying by post:
Proof of identity:
by official certification of the signature on the application
- Usually the local town hall or citizens' registration office can certify the signature. Please enquire about local responsibilities and fees.
- by official certification of the signature on the application
- by notarisation of the signature on the application by the foreign representation or
- by certification of the signature on the application by an authority in the country of origin which is authorised to certify signatures, or
- by a separate letter from a notary public certifying the signature with a German translation by a sworn translator.
In the case of information to the representing (authorised) person:
- Power of attorney with certification of signature
Notarization is not necessary if the authorized person is a lawyer admitted to practice before a German court.
Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes
PDF-Antragsformular zur Erteilung einer Visa-Warndatei-Auskunft (auf der verlinkten Seite unten)
PDF-Formular für eine Vollmacht zum Antrag zur Erteilung einer Visa-Warndatei-Auskunft (auf der verlinkten Seite unten)
There are no legal requirements to apply.
If the proof of identity is not supplied, a decision will be issued refusing the information.
§ 12 Visa-Warndateigesetz (VWDG)
§ 10 der Verordnung zur Durchführung des Visa-Warndateigesetzes (VWDG-DV)
Ziffer 12. der Allgemeinen Verwaltungsvorschrift zum Visa-Warndateigesetz und zur Verordnung zur Durchführung des Visa-Warndateigesetzes
Informationen über die Visa-Warndatei auf der Internetseite des Bundesverwaltungsamtes (BVA)
You can apply online, in person, or by mail.
- Log in to the federal portal using your online ID.
- Fill out the online application and submit the data.
- You will then receive the requested information in writing by mail (in the future, this will also be sent to your Federal user account mailbox).
- Download and complete the application form from the Federal Administrative Office website.
Make an appointment at your local Federal Administrative Office (BVA) location.
- Use the telephone hotline or the e-mail address of the Visa Warning File (BVA, Referat S I 4).
- An overview of the locations can be found on the BVA website.
- You will then receive the requested information in writing by post.
Application by mail:
- Download the application form from the Federal Administrative Office (BVA) website.
- Send the completed application form together with the required documents to the address of the Federal Office of Administration stated in the application form.
- You will then receive the requested information in writing by post
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication