Request self-disclosure of personal information in the visa warning file High Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The Visa Warning File (VWD) is intended to prevent the misuse of visas when entering Germany. It primarily supports the authorities responsible for issuing visas. This includes the German missions abroad. If you would like to know whether and what information the Visa Warning File stores about you, the Federal Office of Administration will provide you with information. To do this, you must submit an application. The Visa Warning File stores information on persons (and organisations) if you have have been convicted of a specific offence by a final judgment, Relevant criminal offences include trafficking in human beings, forced prostitution, narcotics offences and moonlighting. as a visa applicant, have presented, procured or produced forged or falsified documents, or obtained authentic documents by making false statements. act as an inviting, sponsoring or reference person in the visa process and in so doing... have made false statements, or have not fulfilled your obligations when making a claim, or have voluntarily allowed your data to be stored if, for example, there is a suspicion that statements have been made under your name in visa procedures without permission. The data that the Visa Warning File stores on individuals includes: Personal data: surname, first name different spellings of names other names and previous names gender date of birth Place of birth nationality the reason for storage the visa warning file number of the Federal Office of Administration The application data will be stored for up to 10 years, depending on the decision (positive, negative).

If applying online: Proof of identity: Online ID function of the identity card of the electronic residence permit or electronic. residence card the electronic. permanent residence card or the eID card If applying in person: Proof of identity: Identity card, passport, temporary identity card, temporary passport, travel document, passport replacement document. If applying by mail: Proof of identity: in Germany: By official certification of the signature on the application. As a rule, the local town hall or citizens' registration office can certify the signature. Please enquire about local responsibilities and fees. abroad: by certification of the signature on the application by the diplomatic mission or consular post abroad or by an authority in the country of origin which is authorised to certify signatures, or by a separate letter from a notary public certifying the signature with a German translation by a sworn translator. In case of information to a representative (proxy): Power of attorney with certification of signature Notarization is not necessary if the authorized representative is a lawyer admitted to practice before a German court. You can find out which further documents are required in your case on the application form.

Bundesveraltungsamt (BVA), Referat S I 4
+49 228 993583377
Kontaktformular des Bundesverwaltungsamtes Opens in new window

There are no legal requirements to apply.
You can submit the application online, in person or by mail. Online application: Log in to the federal portal using your online ID. Fill out the online application and submit the data. You will then receive the requested information in writing by mail (in the future, this will also be sent to your Federal user account mailbox). Personal application: Download and complete the application form from the Federal Administrative Office website. Make an appointment at your local Federal Administrative Office (BVA) location. Use the telephone hotline or the e-mail address of the Visa Warning File (BVA, Referat S I 4). An overview of the locations can be found on the BVA website. You will then receive the requested information in writing by post. Application by mail: Download the application form from the website of the Federal Office of Administration (BVA). Send the completed application form together with the required documents to the address of the Federal Office of Administration stated in the application form. You will then receive the requested information in writing by post.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Home Affairs

Last update or date of publication