Apply for support for the re-entry into working life Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you want to work despite health problems, you can get financial support for this, for example for aids or measures.
You can claim benefits for participation in working life if you have health problems that prevent you from exercising your profession. You can
- get measures or aids that enable you to resume or continue your job, or
- get benefits to change your job.
The support you receive depends on your case. The important thing is that the measure helps you to do your job or another job.
You can get the following support to practise your profession:
Motor vehicle assistance: Subsidies for the purchase of a car and/or for the disabled-friendly equipment of your car, for example for
- the purchase of a car: up to EUR 9,500 or
- the cost of converting an existing car to make it suitable for a disabled person: in full.
- the costs of travelling to and from a training course,
- a work assistant, i.e. a person who supports you in carrying out your job. The costs are covered for a maximum of three years. If you have further needs after that, the Integration Office will finance the work assistance,
costs for aids,
- that you need to carry out your job and/or
- which you need to get to your job or to take part in a measure that contributes to your occupational participation, as well as
- costs for technical work aids, for example screen readers or software.
If you can no longer carry out your occupation, you can receive support for taking up activities:
- Gründungszuschuss: If you want to start a business, you will receive a grant for this. Your self-employed work must suit your condition and provide you with an income.
- Benefits in a recognised workshop for disabled people (WfbM): An activity in a WfbM comes into consideration if the general labour market is closed to you due to the severity of your disability and you can only carry out an appropriate activity in the protected framework of a WfbM.
- Benefits for vocational adaptation, retraining, education, further training or vocational preparation. If you need support in the form of accompanying aids (e.g. medical, psychological or social care), this will be taken into account when selecting the institution.
You cannot receive a benefit for participation in working life if you are
- you are entitled to a similar benefit from another rehabilitation institution (e.g. accident insurance) because of an accident at work, an occupational disease or damage caused by a third party,
- are a civil servant, soldier or judge - please contact your local integration office to find out from whom you can receive benefits,
- are already receiving or have applied for an old-age pension (at least two-thirds of the full pension),
- have permanently retired from working life and are receiving, for example, a company pension until the start of your old-age pension, or
- are in pre-trial detention or serving a custodial sentence.
Receive from your competent pension insurance
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no
Personal appearance required: usually no
Antragsportal "eAntrag" der Deutschen Rentenversicherung
You can receive benefits for participation in working life from the pension insurance, if you
- have been insured in the statutory pension insurance for at least 15 years (so-called "waiting period of 15 years") or
- receive a pension due to reduced earning capacity or
- receive a large widow's/widower's pension due to reduced earning capacity or
- without these benefits a pension for reduced earning capacity would have to be paid by the pension insurance or
- have received a medical rehabilitation benefit from the pension insurance immediately beforehand, which alone is not sufficient for the desired rehabilitation success.
§ 16 Sechstes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB VI)
Informationen der Deutschen Rentenversicherung zur beruflichen Rehabilitation
Broschüre der Deutschen Rentenversicherung zur Rehabilitation für den Job
You have to apply for the benefit for participation at the pension insurance responsible for you:
You can submit the application online on the website of the German Pension Insurance:
- Without registering, you can fill out the application online and send it to the German pension insurance. You still have to send the signature sheet by post.
- With an identity card, residence permit or electronic signature card, you can fill out the application directly online and send it off paperlessly.
- Alternatively, you can download the necessary application forms from the Internet.
- The information and advice centres as well as the insured persons' elders of the pension insurance will also help you with the application.
- In addition, you can also submit the application to the health insurance funds or the insurance offices.
- After submitting your application, you will receive a notification of approval or rejection.
If you download the application, please note the following instructions:
- Download the form "Antrag auf Leistungen zur Teilhabe für Versicherte - Rehabilitationsantrag" (Form G0100) on the website of the German Pension Insurance and print it out.
- Fill out the form.
Tick the following under point 1 ("Requested benefit"), depending on your case:
- "Benefits for participation in working life (vocational rehabilitation)",
- "Motor vehicle assistance" and/or
- "Aids and technical work aids which are necessary for the exercise of the profession due to the disability".
- Also fill out the forms that are important for the benefit you are applying for. You will find the necessary forms under point 1, to the right of the benefit.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Last update or date of publication