Applying for an old-age pension for severely disabled people Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you are severely disabled, you can, under certain conditions, retire before reaching the standard retirement age without deductions.
With the pension for severely disabled persons, you can receive an old-age pension before reaching the standard retirement age with or without a reduction of up to 10.8 percent.
If you were born between 1952 and 1963, the age limit for a pension without deductions will be raised gradually from 63 to 65. If you were born in 1964 or later, the age limit is 65. However, you can also claim the old-age pension for severely disabled persons prematurely - at the earliest three years before reaching the age limit for a retirement pension without deductions for severely disabled persons - with a deduction (maximum 10.8 percent).
Special case of "protection of legitimate expectations": If you were born before 1 January 1964, were severely disabled on 1 January 2007 and received an adjustment allowance for redundant employees in the mining industry, you can continue to take your old-age pension for severely disabled persons at the age of 63 without deductions for reasons of protection of legitimate expectations. With a deduction of 10.8 percent, you can then claim the pension early at the age of 60.
Before you submit your application, you should clarify the insurance history in your pension account. This will enable you to add any missing periods and have your account clarified (which you can apply for at the German Pension Insurance).
Note: The pension entitlement continues to exist even if the severe disability is lifted while you are receiving the pension.
- Identity card or passport
- Severely disabled person's identity card or certificate
in case of application by other persons:
- Power of attorney or
- Order of the court.
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
Antrag auf Altersrente für schwerbehinderte Menschen bei der Deutschen Rentenversicherung zum Download
Online-Antrag der Altersrente für schwerbehinderte Menschen ohne Registrierung
Online-Antrag der Altersrente für schwerbehinderte Menschen mit Signaturkarte
Online-Antrag der Altersrente für schwerbehinderte Menschen mit Online-Ausweisfunktion des Personalausweises oder einem elektronischen Aufenthaltstitel
Zwischengespeicherten Online-Antrag öffnen
- severely disabled at the start of the pension,
- you have completed the minimum insurance period (qualifying period) of 35 years and
- have reached the age relevant for you.
Severely disabled persons are all persons with a degree of disability (GdB) of at least 50 (highest possible GdB: 100). Your severe disability is evidenced by your severe disability certificate or notice. It must be applied for at the pension office and must be available at the start of your pension.
The waiting period of 35 years includes
- Contribution periods,
- substitute periods,
- credited periods,
- periods taken into account for bringing up children and periods taken into account for nursing care,
- waiting period months from pension equalisation or pension splitting
- waiting period months from supplements to earnings points for pay from marginal, insurance-exempt employment, and
- waiting period months from supplements of earning points for remuneration from marginal employment for which employees are exempt from compulsory insurance.
If you were born between 1952 and 1963, the age limit for a pension without deductions will be raised gradually from 63 to 65. If you were born in 1964 or later, the age limit is 65. However, you can also claim the old-age pension for severely disabled persons prematurely - at the earliest three years before reaching the age limit for a retirement pension for severely disabled persons without deductions - with a deduction (maximum 10.8 percent).
§ 37 Sechstes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB VI)
§ 236a Sechstes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB VI)
Informationen zur Altersrente für schwerbehinderte Menschen auf der Internetseite der Deutschen Rentenversicherung
Informationen zur Antragstellung Ihrer Versichertenrente auf der Internetseite der Deutschen Rentenversicherung
Informationen zum Hinzuverdienst auf der Internetseite der Deutschen Rentenversicherung
Informationen zu Fachbegriffen aus Rente und Rehabilitation auf der Internetseite der Deutschen Rentenversicherung
You can apply for a retirement pension for severely disabled people in writing, in person, or online:
Written pension application:
- Download the application form for the old-age pension for severely disabled people on the website of the German Pension Insurance. Fill out the form completely and compile the required documents.
You can submit your completed and signed application with the required documents either:
- send it by post to your pension insurance institution or
- hand it in at one of the local advice centres.
Pension application via online procedure:
- Go to the online portal of the German Pension Insurance. Log in there with your signature card, your identity card (if electronic proof of identity is activated) or your electronic residence permit.
- Fill out the form for the pension for severely disabled people and upload the necessary documents. Then submit your pension application online.
Apply in person at the counseling session:
- Compile the documents you need to submit your application and make an appointment at a Deutsche Rentenversicherung information and advice centre.
- During the consultation, your pension application will usually be recorded electronically and forwarded online.
Note: Your pension application can also be submitted for you by a person you trust. Please submit a corresponding power of attorney to your pension insurance institution. As long as the power of attorney is valid, your pension insurance institution will only contact your authorized person.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)
Last update or date of publication