Apply for medical rehab at the expense of the pension insurance Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
You can receive medical rehabilitation from the pension insurance if your earning capacity is impaired by illness or disability.
Medical rehabilitation serves to improve or restore your earning capacity.
A repetition of the medical rehab is generally possible after 4 years - unless the benefit is required prematurely for health reasons.
The purpose of rehabilitation is to treat health and functional disorders. The type of treatment and the choice of rehab facility depends on your complaints.
The rehab takes place in a rehab facility of the pension insurance or in one of its contract clinics. Medical rehabilitation services are available both as in-patient and full-day out-patient treatment and usually last 3 weeks. For addicts, there are regulations that deviate from this form and duration of benefits.
This is paid by the pension insurance:
- the trip,
- medical care,
- therapeutic services and
- the medical treatments.
In the case of inpatient medical rehab, you can contribute a maximum of EUR 10.00 per day towards the costs. The co-payment depends on the amount of your income.
If your employer does not continue to pay your salary during your medical rehab due to similar previous illnesses, you may receive transitional benefits from the pension insurance.
You cannot receive medical rehab if you are
- are entitled to a similar benefit from another rehabilitation institution (e.g. accident insurance) because of an occupational accident, occupational disease or injury caused by a third party,
- are a civil servant, soldier or judge. Please contact your local integration office to find out from whom you can receive benefits,
- are already receiving or have applied for an old-age pension (at least two-thirds of the full pension),
- have permanently retired from working life and are receiving, for example, a company pension until the start of your old-age pension, or
- are in pre-trial detention or serving a custodial sentence.
- Report of the findings of your attending physician
Forms: Application for participation benefits for insured persons (G0100)
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no
Personal appearance required: usually no
Online-Antrag mit Registrierung
- have been insured in the statutory pension insurance for at least 15 years (so-called "waiting period of 15 years") or
- receive a pension due to reduced earning capacity or
- receive a large widow's/widower's pension due to reduced earning capacity or
- have paid compulsory contributions for an insured occupation or activity for six calendar months in the 2 years preceding the application, or
- have exercised an insured occupation or self-employed activity within 2 years of training up to the date of application or were incapacitated for work or unemployed after such an occupation or activity up to the date of application, or
- have reduced earning capacity or this is to be expected in the foreseeable future if you fulfil the general waiting period of 5 years.
§ 15 Sechstes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB VI)
Informationen der Deutschen Rentenversicherung zur medizinischen Rehabilitation
Broschüre der Deutschen Rentenversicherung zur medizinischen Rehabilitation
You can submit your application online, in person, or in writing.
- Go to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung website.
- Click on "Online services" and then on "Submit application".
- At this point, you also have the option of registering and then submitting the application. For example, you can see straight away which insurance periods have already been recorded. You will also save time, as data will be pre-filled when you submit your application. To register, you will need an identity card or an electronic residence permit with online ID function or an electronic signature card.
- Select the desired method of identification and follow the instructions. Then click on "Submit applications".
- Fill out the application. You will be assisted electronically with explanations and instructions.
- Any supporting documents required can be uploaded and also submitted electronically.
- Once you have answered all the required questions, you can submit your application electronically to the relevant pension insurance institution.
- You will receive a confirmation of submission.
- Compile the necessary documents for the application and make an appointment at a Deutsche Rentenversicherung information and advice centre.
- When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number are required.
- You can select a desired advice centre and your preferred date.
- Depending on the availability of free appointments and the expected duration of the consultation, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
- During your consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the relevant pension insurance provider.
- Download the application form from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung website. You can also collect the application form in person from information and advice centres, your health insurance fund, local authorities or insurance offices.
- You can either send your completed and signed application form together with the required documents by post to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung or hand it in at one of the local advice centres.
- You will receive a confirmation of receipt.
Your competent pension insurance institution will check your application. After your information has been evaluated, you will receive a written notification of approval or rejection by mail.
If you have given your consent to electronic communication in advance, all correspondence can be sent electronically. You can use the online services with registration for this purpose. In this case, you will receive the decision in your electronic mailbox at the DRV or by De-Mail.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Last update or date of publication