Disclose unaccompanied cash and/or other funds when requested to do so in mail and freight transactions Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you move unaccompanied cash and/or other funds, for example in postal and freight traffic, into, out of or through the European Union, you must submit a disclosure declaration when requested to do so by the customs authorities.
Customs authorities monitor the movement of unaccompanied cash and/or other means across the borders of Germany to other Member States of the European Union (EU).
Customs officials may request the consignor, consignee or a representative of that person to make a disclosure declaration for unaccompanied cash and/or other means which are
- in postal parcels,
- in courier shipments,
- in unaccompanied baggage, or
- as containerised cargo
into, out of or through the EU. This submission may be made in writing.
Cash is defined as:
- Cash such as banknotes and coins that are valid means of payment.
- Banknotes and coins that are not valid means of payment but can still be exchanged for currency that is valid means of payment. For example, it is still possible to exchange German marks or Austrian schillings for euros).
- Transferable bearer instruments, such as travellers' cheques, cheques, promissory notes and certain money orders.
- Commodities that have a high value in relation to their volume; these are coins with a gold content of at least 90 percent and gold bars, nuggets or nuggets with a gold content of at least 99.5 percent.
Equated funds include:
- Savings accounts,
- Precious stones (rough or polished) such as diamonds, rubies, sapphires or emeralds,
- Coins, with a gold content of at least 90 percent, and gold bars, nuggets, or nuggets with a gold content of at least 99.5 percent
- Other precious metals such as platinum or silver
On request, documents relating to:
- the consignee
- the sender
- or a representative of these persons
- the economic origin and the intended use of the cash and/or other funds
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
- You send or receive unaccompanied cash and/or other funds with a total value of EUR 10,000 or more and
- you are requested by the customs authorities to submit a disclosure declaration.
§ 12a Zollverwaltungsgesetz (ZollVG)
You can submit the disclosure declaration in writing to the customs authorities. Cash and/or other funds will be withheld until you do so.
Submit disclosure declaration in writing:
- Go to the German Customs website.
- Download form 040100 and fill out the form completely.
- Print and sign the form and attach all required documents.
- Submit your disclosure statement by mail.
- Upon receipt of your disclosure statement, Customs will verify your information.
- If your information and disclosures are proper, complete and conclusive and there is no reason to believe that the unaccompanied cash and/or other funds may be related to crimes or misdemeanors, your unaccompanied cash and/or other funds will be released.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Finance
Last update or date of publication