Application for detention of counterfeit or infringing products by the customs administration Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you are concerned that goods which may infringe your intellectual property rights are being imported into or exported from the Customs Union, you can apply to the Central Industrial Property Office for the goods to be detained.

Intellectual property rights may be acquired through an entry in a register or through use in the course of trade. Unauthorised use of these rights is not permitted. For example, intellectual property rights exist in the form of

  • patents
  • utility models
  • designs or registered designs
  • Varieties
  • Trademarks
  • Copyrights
  • Topographies of semiconductor products
  • geographical indications

When goods infringing such intellectual property rights are put into the European Union (EU) economic circuit in the course of trade, right holders, right users or groups of producers and law-abiding producers and traders can suffer significant harm. Counterfeit products can put the health or safety of consumers at risk.

As a rights holder, you can apply for "action by customs authorities" under Union law for goods from third countries that may be infringing. You can limit this application to Germany (national application) or also apply for further member states (Union application).
In addition, you can also apply for "seizure by the customs authorities" under German law if the Union rules do not apply (for example, in intra-Union traffic).

After a positive decision on your application, the customs authorities can stop suspected goods as part of customs supervision.

You and the declarant or holder of the goods will be informed of the detention by customs. In the event of an infringement, the goods will be destroyed.

As the holder of a positive decision, you can also obtain information on the consignor, consignee, declarant or holder of the goods, as well as the origin, provenance and destination of the goods, upon request.

You may need to submit the following documents:

  • Power of attorney from a legal representative
  • exclusive license
  • Right of use
  • proof of payment for extension of the validity of a property right
  • Deed of surety
  • Forms: yes
  • Online procedure possible: yes
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Antragstellung über das Zentrale Datenbanksystem zum Schutz Geistiger Eigentumsrechte (ZGR-online)


They have property rights in the form of

  • patents
  • utility models
  • designs or registered designs
  • Varieties
  • trademarks
  • Copyrights
  • Topographies of semiconductor products
  • Geographical indications

You can describe your original products in such a way that counterfeit or infringing products can be identified during customs control.

Related Links

  • Verordnung (EU) Nummer 608/2013 des Europäischen Parlaments und des Rates
  • § 146 Markengesetz (MarkenG)
  • § 111b Urheberrechtsgesetz (UrhG)
  • § 55 Designgesetz (DesignG)
  • § 142a Patentgesetz (PatG)
  • § 25a Gebrauchsmustergesetz (GebrMG) in Verbindung mit § 142a Patentgesetz (PatG)
  • § 40a Sortenschutzgesetz (SortschG)
  • § 9 Absatz 2 Halbleiterschutzgesetz (HalblSchG)

Related Links

  • Informationen zum Tätigwerden der Zollbehörden auf der Internetseite der Zollverwaltung

You can submit requests for action by the customs authorities via the Central Database System for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights online (ZGR-online).

  • Register for a citizen or business customer account in the Customs Citizen and Business Customer Portal (BuG-Portal).
  • For the full use of ZGR-online you need at least the trust level "ELSTER".
  • Once you have registered, you can log in to the BuG portal.
  • After successful registration in the BuG-Portal, please select the service "ZGR-online".
  • Fill out the application using the input masks. The necessary information will be requested specifically. Tool tips" integrated into the input masks will assist you in entering the data.
  • By using the ELSTER certificate, you only need to submit your application electronically.
  • You will receive a notification of the decision made on your application.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Finance

Last update or date of publication