Obtain tax identification number Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
As a citizen in Germany, you automatically receive a tax identification number.
The tax identification number is used for identification in the taxation procedure. It enables tax returns, notifications and correspondence to always be clearly assigned.
The tax identification number is a "non-speaking number". This means that neither personal data nor the responsible tax office can be read from it.
Every newborn child and all new citizens are automatically assigned a tax identification number when they first register in Germany. It remains valid for life and does not change when you move or get married.
As a rule, you will also find your tax identification number
- in your income tax assessment notice,
- on the income tax statement.
You can request your tax identification number via the input form of the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt) if
- within 3 months of your first registration in Germany
- you have not received a tax identification number for your newborn child within 3 months after the birth
you have not yet received a letter with the tax identification number.
A communication by telephone or a communication by e-mail is not possible for data protection reasons.
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: no
In Germany you are automatically allocated a tax identification number.
You can request your tax identification number again using the input form of the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt).
Erneute Mitteilung der Steueridentifikationsnummer
Entitled to query:
- All taxable persons in Germany receive a tax identification number.
§ 139a Abgabeordnung (AO)
§ 139b Abgabeordnung (AO)
Informationen zur Steueridentifikationsnummer auf der Internetseite des Bundeszentralamts für Steuern
Fragen und Antworten zur Steueridentifikationsnummer auf der Internetseite des Bundeszentralamts für Steuern
You will receive your tax identification number automatically by post to your registration address.
- As a taxable person in Germany, you automatically receive a tax identification number.
- Children receive the tax identification number after birth.
- If you cannot find your tax identification number, you can use the input form on the website of the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt) to request your tax identification number again.
- To do this, complete the input form in full and send it via the "Send" field.
You will receive the tax identification number by post to your current registration address.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Finance (BMF)
Last update or date of publication