Report change in personal situation during unemployment Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If there are any changes in your personal situation during your unemployment, you must report them to the Federal Employment Agency.

A change in your personal situation may affect your entitlement to unemployment benefit. You may receive less or more money. Therefore, you must immediately report any change in your personal circumstances to the employment agency responsible for you. These notifications are important so that you receive the correct amount of benefits to which you are entitled.

In particular, you must report if you:

  • go away for a long time,
  • move house,
  • take up a second job (including voluntary work),
  • take up a job,
  • go back to school,
  • start an apprenticeship or a course of study,
  • become self-employed,
  • go on maternity or parental leave..,
  • draw an old-age pension,
  • receive a pension for reduced earning capacity,
  • are doing a traineeship, voluntary service or military service,
  • changed your name or marital status,
  • become ill or recover from illness..,
  • change tax class, or
  • have another reason for deregistration.

In some cases, you should contact your local employment agency before your personal situation changes.

For example, if you take up a second job: The income from the secondary employment may affect the receipt of your unemployment benefit.

The obligation to notify also applies to changes that may have a retroactive effect on your benefits. This is the case, for example, if you are granted a pension retroactively.

If you receive supplementary unemployment benefit II in addition to unemployment benefit, you must notify the Jobcenter of the change separately. Please take into account the information on this benefit and use the form for notifying changes when receiving benefits from the basic income support scheme.

Please ask your local employment agency which documents you have to submit.

Form: yes
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no, informal notification also possible
Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Formular der Bundesagentur für Arbeit für die Veränderungsmitteilung
  • Veränderungsmitteilung bei Bezug von Leistungen der Grundsicherung


  • You are drawing unemployment benefit and
  • Your personal situation changes.

Related Links

  • §§ 60 bis 67 Sozialgesetzbuch Erstes Buch (SGB I)

Related Links

  • Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit für Arbeitslose

You can submit the change notification online, in person, in writing or by telephone. You will then receive a decision by post as to whether and how the change in your personal situation affects your receipt of unemployment benefit.

If you want to submit the notice of change online:

  • Go to the Federal Employment Agency's online "eServices" portal, log in and fill out the change form directly online.

If you would like to submit the notice of change in person at your location:

  • Make an appointment with your advisor at the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Download the notice of change form from the Agentur für Arbeit's website.
  • Fill out the form and bring it with you to your appointment with your employment agency.
  • It is best to bring the relevant supporting documents with you if they are required.

If you would like to submit the notice of change in writing:

  • Download the notice of change form from the Agentur für Arbeit website.
  • You can also use the form that you received from your local employment agency when you registered for unemployment.
  • Fill in the form and send it by post to your competent employment agency.

If you want to report the change by telephone

  • Call the service hotline of the Federal Employment Agency and have your customer number ready.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication