Apply for other assistance as individual benefits for participation in working life Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you need help with vocational integration or to secure an existing job because of your disability, you may be eligible for other assistance.
To enable you as a person with disabilities to participate in working life, the Federal Employment Agency can support you with a range of measures and support services. The benefits include, among others, the so-called other assistance to promote participation in working life.
In addition to the legally stipulated support services, there is also additional support for participation in working life which you can apply for in order to enable and maintain appropriate and suitable employment or self-employment. These so-called other aids include, for example
- the temporary use of a sign language interpreter
- mobility training
- the accompaniment of participation
If you are hearing or speech impaired and temporarily need a sign language interpreter in connection with the training for employment, the costs for this assignment will be covered.
If you are blind or severely visually impaired and mobility training is necessary to enable you to travel between home and work, this training will be funded.
Participation assistance helps you to prepare for in-company training, retraining or employment subject to social insurance contributions. The accompaniment is provided by educational institutions on behalf of the employment agency.
Participation guidance is made up of 3 modules:
- Module 1 Vocational orientation: here you will be helped to find out which professions and activities suit you best. Your interests, your health and mental capacity and also the requirements of the labour market are taken into account. Module 1 can be supplemented by individual practical days in companies.
- Module 2 Introduction to training, retraining or employment: You will be supported in finding a specific in-company training, retraining or job. Among other things, you will receive support in compiling your application documents and you will be prepared for job interviews. Module 2 can be supplemented by individual practical days in companies.
- Module 3 Securing training, retraining or employment: You will receive help in coping with everyday life in the company, for example through counselling sessions in the event of conflicts in the company. The aim is to enable you to work permanently in the primary labour market. Your transition from training to employment can also be supported.
Depending on your individual needs, the participation support is made up of one or more modules. Each of the 3 modules lasts a maximum of 6 months. The scope of support comprises at least 2 hours per week during the entire period of approval. If you need more support, up to 8 hours per week are possible. Qualified and experienced social and rehabilitation pedagogical specialists will be at your side for the entire duration of the support.
The costs are covered by the employment agency.
Please ask your advisor which documents you need in detail.
- Forms: none
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
In order for you to be considered for other assistance as a benefit for participation in working life, the following general requirements must be met:
- You have a disability and the Federal Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation agency.
Your prospects of participating or re-participating in working life are permanently significantly reduced due to the nature or severity of your disability.
- Or: You are threatened by a disability with the same occupational consequences.
- You must contact your Federal Employment Agency about a grant or reimbursement of costs before expenses are incurred or expenditures are made.
In addition, you may have to observe special requirements for the respective subsidy.
§ 112 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
§ 49 Absatz 3 Nummer 7 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
Fachliche Weisungen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zu Leistungen zur Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben gemäß § 49 SGB IX
Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Förderung der Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben für Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer
Flyer der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Teilhabebegleitung (THB)
In order for you to receive other assistance, you must contact your employment agency:
- Make an appointment with the Vocational Rehabilitation and Participation Team at your employment agency.
- If you do not yet have a personal contact person, make an appointment via the service hotline.
- In a personal meeting, you will clarify together whether other assistance is an option for you.
- If your counsellor determines that help is needed so that you can participate in working life, this person will discuss the next steps with you.
- Your adviser will also discuss with you the forms you need to fill in.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Last update or date of publication