Apply for basic training for severely visually or hearing impaired people Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you become highly visually or hearing impaired, you first have to learn how to deal with the new situation. With basic training, you can learn special skills that you need in your job and everyday life.
To help you navigate your job and everyday life with a profound visual or hearing impairment, you need to have many specialized skills. The disability-related basic training provides you with the knowledge and skills you need to live independently - both professionally and in your private life.
The special basic training courses are aimed at people who are basically aiming for vocational training or retraining, but whose knowledge and skills are not yet sufficient to successfully complete this training or retraining due to (an incurred) severe visual impairment or hearing impairment.
If training or retraining is not possible due to personal reasons, funding can also be provided prior to employment.
Basic training for the blind
During basic technical training for the blind, you will learn new techniques that will be necessary to perform or continue to perform a job due to your disability.
- Instruction includes, for example:
- Reading and writing Braille (Braille),
- Learning to use computer aids specific to the blind,
- Working with electronic blind readers and blind notetakers,
- Orientation and mobility, so that you can move and orientate yourself independently and safely in public spaces,
- practical life skills, so that you can, for example, sign your name, recognize money, care for your clothes and prepare small meals - in short, run your own household.
The duration is 10 to 12 months.
Basic hearing training
During basic hearing training, you will learn strategies to communicate as well as possible with hearing people. The aim is for you to find out the hearing tactics that will enable you personally to communicate best with hearing people both at your training place or workplace and during a vocational qualification.
The course contents include, for example:
- Speech training,
- Hearing training for hearing aid or cochlear implant users
- Development and training of listening tactics,
- Use of written interpreters, speech-accompanying signs and technical aids,
- communication training,
- Training to increase the ability to concentrate and work under pressure.
The duration is 3 to 6 months, depending on requirements.
The basic training required due to the disability is funded by the Federal Employment Agency, provided that the Federal Employment Agency is the responsible rehabilitation agency. You are entitled to either transitional allowance or training allowance and are covered by social insurance.
This basic training usually takes place in a vocational rehabilitation facility that is set up to meet the special needs of people with disabilities.
Please inquire about what documentation you will need when contacting your counselor.
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: No
- You have a severe visual or hearing impairment or are at risk of developing such an impairment.
- Your responsible rehabilitation agency is the Federal Employment Agency.
- Your prospects of participating or re-participating in working life are permanently significantly reduced due to your disability.
- You are willing to undergo vocational training or other vocational integration.
§ 112 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
§ 117 Absatz 1 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
Fachliche Weisungen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zu Leistungen zur Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben gemäß § 112 SGB III
Fachliche Weisungen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zu Leistungen zur Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben gemäß § 117 SGB III
Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Förderung der Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben für Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer
Informationen für Menschen mit Behinderungen auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
In order for you to receive the basic training you need due to your disability, you must contact your employment agency:
To do this, make an appointment with the Vocational Rehabilitation and Participation Team at your employment agency.
- If you do not yet have a personal contact at the employment agency, make an appointment by calling the toll-free number.
- The counseling session will clarify whether basic training is suitable for you.
- If your advisor determines that the basic training is suitable for you, you will be immediately registered for it. Your advisor will also discuss with you the forms that you will need to fill out. These will also state when and where the measure will begin and what you will need for it.
- You will receive written notification as soon as a place is available.
- Your advisor will register you for the basic training.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)
Last update or date of publication